• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power Bricks and External Drives- Best Way to match them up?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

I have several external hard drives with the original power bricks. I'm unsure which goes to which after being packed away for so long, last time I don't label them!

Is there anything besides the below (assuming it's all correct), that I should be careful about?:confused:

AC or DC - must match
Voltage - must match
Amperage (usually in A or mA) - must be greater than or equal to the original.

I think probably those things are interchangeable as hard drives all use the same input voltage, though it is possible that the usb to sata conversion electronics might differ a little. Check the polarity but I think most all things like that these days are center positive. Also look on the hard drive enclosure and see if there are any specs for input and then match them with the output specs of the brick. I have used bricks like that interchangeably and had no problem. Just make sure the bricks were all made for external USB hard drives and not something else.

I think probably those things are interchangeable as hard drives all use the same input voltage, though it is possible that the usb to sata conversion electronics might differ a little. Check the polarity but I think most all things like that these days are center positive. Also look on the hard drive enclosure and see if there are any specs for input and then match them with the output specs of the brick. I have used bricks like that interchangeably and had no problem. Just make sure the bricks were all made for external USB hard drives and not something else.

Thanks Trents. I figured that was the case. They are all for External HD enclosures, that much I do know as I packed them.

When you get a chance, would you check out the older thread of mine that you replied to regarding my ISP issues. I checked the RAM, no issues.

Back