• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power needs of a Fx-6200 based system.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks, and yes I do understand the implications of measuring at the wall. My point with all of this being none of these numbers have GPU stress. I loaded my 4.72Ghz profile and using the likely less than accurate 80% math I was at 392w. If you add 120w for the overclocked 460 I had back then we are well within the top 10% of what that PSU had to offer(I'm all too aware it had quite a few less than stellar reviews, but at half of cost :shrug: ).

Thanks for the input.:D

Run 3DMark 11... the 4th GPU test (mostly GPU, some CPU), then run the Combined test (CPU and GPU heavy loads) and report back with those peaks if you like. :)

Run 3DMark 11... the 4th GPU test (mostly GPU, some CPU), then run the Combined test (CPU and GPU heavy loads) and report back with those peaks if you like. :)

If only I still had a 460 in the house, but all I have is this 480 earth day edition. Anyway to the OP, if these guys say 550w should be able to deal with 550w then there is no reason your build shouldn't do well with a 550w PSU. I was operating under a wrong assumption.

A quality modern 500W unit should be able to cope with that system with ease.
I've tested how much power a 8150 used when paired with a measly GT210 and a low end fortron PSU. The rest was 235w at the wall under load. The psu is around 70-75% efficient, so that's around 175w loaded or less, the GPU in question is around 150W. So even you overclock both, a good 500W unit should handle the system with ease.

Im thinking of using a similar build for my new computer, im using the same motherboard, CPU cooler and the same Vengeance ram...

(MSI 990FXA-GD80 motherboard
Coolermaster v8
Corsair Vengeance 1600)

Would it be possible to fill all ram slots though? or does the v8 cooler hang over them too much only allowing you to fill 2 slots as you have?

Back