• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kagai

I've had periodic shut downs for a while, but I really didn't try to troubleshoot it until I took off my CPU cooler to redo the thermal paste. After I got everything back together my PC wouldn't turn on at all; however, the motherboard's reset and power buttons were lit.

After some searching, I find out that my main power cable that connects to the motherboard is where the problem is at. If i move the power cable a little the system will power on, if I let the power cable go, it will power off.

So, I am thinking I have either a faulty wire in my power supply cable or there is a problem with the main power connector on my motherboard. I don't have any spare motherboards/power supplies in order to test one or the other. Does anyone have any ideas on which is the most likely culprit? Or, how to test it without having an extra power supply or motherboard?

I have a Corsair 850TX Series 80 Plus power supply and an Asus P6X58D Premium motherboard.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Back