• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power Problems on New Computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GerrFel

I'm building a new computer right now, and I'm having power issues.

I've got : P4 3.0ghz with HT, 512 DDR400 Corsair, 80GB SATA HDD, and the other stuff.

Have the mobo, ram, and processor all socketed in the case. I plugged the 4 pin special cable form the PSU to my mobo, and the ATX power cable. Also, I haven't plugged in a video card, HDD, or monitor yet, I'm attempting to do a preboot to see if everything is working.

When I plug in my PSU to a wall socket, my computer flashes for a half second of power, my fans spin real quick, and in that half second, everything goes dead. What have I done wrong?

All my mobo standoffs are correct, I'm not 100% sure on power issues. And do I have to have my case button and led connectors plugged in for it to run properly?

Help.

GerrFel

Power up problem

Dont think it is the way your power switch on your case is plugged in. Dont think there is any polarity issue there, just pulling a line up to energize the supply. But, do make sure it is the power switch and not the reset switch. Also, are you in the US or elsewhere? Make sure the psu is set for the correct input voltage, not the wrong voltage for your area. You can always disconnect everything, and jumper the green pin on the atx connector to any of the black with a paper clip and it should pull up the power supply. You can then check all of your leads for the correct voltage output.

Turned out to be my fault.

I incorrectly connected the lines to my LEDs in the front of the case and my reset power button switch. So it was doing whatever incorrectly.

All built and running like a sexy thang!

Back