• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power Supply or Motherboard Problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chaosmachine420

I have graphics card not putting anything on the monitor. I first tired it in another computer to make sure the card is working which it did. So then I did try putting the card on a new power cable and that didn't either so then I tried putting the card in another Pci-e slot. That didn't work either so I cant be too sure the power supply is good or is the motherboard broken?

Do you have a Digital voltmeter so you can check the voltage of the PSU?

I would think it's your motherboard if you can boot up the PC fans, lights, with no video.

2 ways you can check the rails in the psu.
Take one of your 4 pin molex plugs, with computer off, put the black lead into the plug with the black wire/ put the red lead in the yellow(12 volt), turn on computer. The voltage should not fluctuate much. You can test the 5 volt rail, the red wire, the same way.
Second way is to take the 24 mb power plug, with the psu un-plugged or off, jump the green wire to one of the black ones. Red lead to yellow(12), black to black. You can test the 5 volt(red) and 3.3(orange) the same way. Turn on computer with a fan and a hdd hooked up..
That's the way I do it.

Try a different PSU in the machine that is having the issue with the GPU.

What is the gpu and psu?

Fan spins up on gpu?

Whats plugged to gpu, vga, dvi, hdmi?

Did you have a different gpu in that machine previously that was working?

What is the gpu and psu?

Fan spins up on gpu?

Whats plugged to gpu, vga, dvi, hdmi?

Did you have a different gpu in that machine previously that was working?
The gpu is Asus HD7770-DC-1GD5 and power supply is PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W.

He said yes it spins up it wasnt fast but not after since we cleaned it out.

We plugged it in using the hdmi.

There was but its considered built in graphics card so I cant say if that makes a difference.

There were never lights on the gpu. The fan I have been told now spins up like normal again after cleaning and maybe putting a different power cord to it but still doesn't produce a picture through hdmi.

Last edited:
Back