• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prescott @ 1.45 vcore...Safe???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IceCoolJay

Registered
Hi, i'm new to this forum. I was just wondering if the new prescott processors (I Have the 2.8e) would be safe to run @ 1.45 vcore in the long run. Ive read the spec sheets on the intel website and it says that the vcore should run between 1.25 - 1.525. Oh yeah, im using air cooling and my temps never go above 58 Degrees Celius under load when testing @ 1.45 vcore.

Thanks

Welcome to the forums! 1.450Vcore shouldn't be a problem in the long run, but with any Prescott you want to be sure you have decent case cooling even at default speed. I run mine at 1.500Vcore and the CPU itself seems to handle the heat pretty well. What speed are you at anyway? My 2.80E does 230FSB 100% Prime95 stable at default 1.400Vcore.

At 1.45 VCore, my 2.8E is @ 3.5 (250fsb) stable with temps just hitting 55-56 C during stress testing.

At Stock Vcore(1.385), i can hit 237 fsb stable, which about 3.3-3.4ghz, cant remember exactly. I get the same max temps at default vcore.

This is all done using Stock HSF with the help of AS5 :) .

I plan to upgrade my HSF in the near future.

The Prescott can easily handle up to 1.525v for long term usage, but I would not raise vcore much above default until you had better cooling, especially good case ventilation since extra voltage increase mobo heat a lot. BTW, my 2.8E will do a rock stable 243 FSB (3.4 gig) on default voltage. What mobo are you using?

What's this 'stable' you guys are talking about? Is that Prime95 stable or what? Mine also does a 24/7 stable 243FSB at default Vcore, but the ONLY thing it's not doing is Prime95 until it reaches 1.5V

Ya, I do use prime95 to test for stability, but I don't run it overnight like some people feel the need for. If I can run prime95 for an hour with no problems, that's plenty good for me. In which case I am at 250FSB at 1.45Vcore stable on my 2.8E @ 3.5Ghz

What i consider stable is running prime95 for at least 12 hours without any errors. I tested my 2.8e for 20 hours @ 3.5ghz using 1.45 Vcore but had to stop cause i had to use the pc.

Im using a p4p800 deluxe mother board. I run mine day to day @ 3.4ghz using 1.4 Vcore. Stable.

Yeah, might get better cooling soon, but for stock HSF , 56 C is not all to bad @ 3.4 ghz

What i consider stable is running prime95 for at least 12 hours without any errors. I tested my 2.8e for 20 hours @ 3.5ghz using 1.45 Vcore but had to stop cause i had to use the pc.

Im using a p4p800 deluxe mother board. I run mine day to day @ 3.4ghz using 1.4 Vcore. Stable.

Yeah, might get better cooling soon, but for stock HSF , 56 C is not all to bad @ 3.4 ghz

Back