• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prescott 3.2E GHz or Prescott 3.4E GHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

curtism2007

I am thinking about buying a new processor for my computer and a new heatsink/fan. I am debating on a 3.2E and overclocking it or a 3.4E and prob still oc'ing it. I am probably going with an artic freezer. Any suggestions on what to get would greatly be appreciated.
I also need help on how to fix a squealing problem with my new powersupply. It is an Antec 500W smartpower 2.0 and it is fine as it is booting up and as soon as the video driver loads in windows it makes a squealing noise that drives me nuts. Any ideas on making and installing magnetic sheilding inside of the power supply to keep them from picking up the magnetic resonance from the transformers? Any other ideas?

Asus P4P800SE
1GB (2x512) OCZ PC3200 Dual Channel
2.8 GHz Intel Celeron 400 MHz FSB
Cooler Master Aero Cool
Nvidia GeForce 6800le
2 80GB Seagate Baracudda's in RAID 0
Antec 500W SmartPower 2.0

I am using a socket 478 prescott in my second machine. I went with the 3.0 and I couldn't be happier. Right now I am running it at 3820mhz with an xp-120. My room is pretty hot, and when I can get my room down to a reasonable temp it hits 3930 easily.

I am runing it at under stock voltages.

I would suggest a 3.0 over the 3.2 and 3.4 simply because you will probably hit a similar wall and save a few dollars in the process.

Been there!

On ur S478 mobo ur probably gonna' get somewhere in the neighborhood of 3.7 - 3.8 stable, on air, so a 3.0 or 3.2 will do.

Actually, I'd probably try to select ur CPU by matching ur FSB 1:1 ratio to ur RAM's ability to clock so the proc will end up ~3.8, to maybe 4.0 (if ur lucky). I'm not familiar w/ur RAMs characteristics - My last several DDR-I sticks have been G.Skill 'LE'.

That's assuming, all you'll be changing is the CPU.

BTW - Keep those FETs cool. And, if you think ur PSUs coils & x-formers squeal now, wait 'till you start crankin' up that new Pressy! :p

Oh, one last thing. A 3.4 D0 stepping in a P4P800SE will allow the use of a 14X multi, if that's of interest to you. Assuming that if you buy new, you'll "probably" get a E0 stepping, you may want to research which clockspeed & sSpec S478 P4Es will allow a 14X multi, if you're interested in running it.

Strat

Back