• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prescott 560 too hot direct from Intel (THG)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes, I totally agree with Tom’s Hardware’s assessment of the Prescott 560. But one of the other articles that I had just read about the Prescott 570’s leads me to believe that they have worked out some of the ‘kinks” that they have had with the thermals. Hopefully this will help some of the lower chips going forward. Hopefully helping with the overclocking as well.

Link:
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1726131,00.asp

Hmm, who sponsored this article from tom's hardware. We know that prescott runs hot, and everyone here is recommended to buy a sufficient heatsink, especially in a place like this.

We all know intel doesn't plan on fixing this, so let's just move on.

While the processor does run hot, THG's 'remedy' for it is odd... they talk about silver oxide thermal paste. The temperature difference between the majority of thermal pastes (including silicon-based ones) and the premium stuff is marginal once you control for mounting variations.
Surely the more important thing is to have a roomy case with proper airflow and to upgrade the stock heatsink.

So basicly he says he fixed the problem removing the stock thermal pad and using decent thermal paste so why does he give the impression its the cpu`s fault.
I didnt bother reading it propelry cause it toms hardware.

jenko said:
So basicly he says he fixed the problem removing the stock thermal pad and using decent thermal paste so why does he give the impression its the cpu`s fault.
I didnt bother reading it propelry cause it toms hardware.
Actually the jist of the article says how the stock heat sink and fan, and using the stock thermal pad is sufficient (sp ck) to operate the product as it was designed (3.6Ghz), but BARELY and with a case that doesn't exceed 38C.

Then they tackle the issue that any average machine builder would remove that heat sink and fan for a CPU upgrade, changing boards, etc. And in doing so, any normal person knows to you can't reuse the pad. SO they would use thermal paste. They find that using Thermal Paste, like any normal person, is a big no-no!

Then they tried an artict silver-like paste, and finally got results similar to the original pad.

In other words, they hit on two points: WHy is Intel releasing high-end products that only operate at their design specs under perfect conditions (lots of ventilation). And a tip for anyone with these processors and future processors: You can not use that tube of Thermal Paste you have had laying around all of these years. You have to start using a silver oxide type paste.

Me see Arctic Silver sales about to sky rocket, are they public? :D

Last edited:
Yeah the Prescott runs warm. I've heard from two different forum members now that have owned Prescotts and FX-51s and they say both run about as hot. Do you ever see an AMD overclocker using a stock cooler? It wasn't that long ago when the AMDs were the hot ones... remember the Thunderbirds and Thoroughbreds? Used to be that only the AMD folks were running watercooling.

Back