• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pricing a new system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

disk11

Starting to have problems with my current system, so I'm pricing out a CPU/mobo/RAM purchase to tide me over.

Pretty sure I'm gonna get the X3 720 P2, but in a toss up over boards. I keep reading DDR3 doesn't do anything for performance so I was thinking about the Gigabyte 790X UD4P, but there is a combo with the 720 and the Asus M4A78T-E that is the cheaper option without an memory.

I figure with a nice 2x2GB kit of RAM both of these routes will cost the same. When I get more money I'll be getting a single CPU solution, so no cosideration for Xfire or SLI. So which board is better than the other?

I'd go AM3 personally, mainly because i like the concept of ddr3 and the hugely high clocks it allows, and because it will stick around further into the future, so most likely you will be able to use the next generation or two of AMD cpus without doing more then a bios update.

I'm not trying to skimp too much, I had regrets doing that with my current system. Didn't OC as high as I thought it would (3 ghz at its peak, then slowly deteriorated) and it started feeling slow about a year later. I also had some mobo issues.

I guess I'll ignore mem type and focus on how well people are OCing with those boards.

OK its update time.

Until I unload what decent parts are left in my current system, I'll have ~$700 after selling some of my music equipment, depending on other factors it could be extended up. Hopefully this will get me a CPU, motherboard, memory, and a video card, with the rest of the stuff holdovers from my current rig.

I'm hoping the Scythe Ninja and Corsair HX520 can be reused, but I have a feeling a new PSU will be needed.

Right now I'm eyeballing the 720 BE, Asus M4A79T Deluxe, and a 4GB kit of OCZ Platinum Low Voltage. I'm still debating between a 4890, GTX 275, or GTX 280 for the video card. Assuming a 4890, that puts me at ~$600 on Newegg (I'll shop around once I get this finalized).

If I do need a new PSU, who's good currently?

I look forward to feedback.

Corsair, Antec, and PC & C, an excellent psu brands right now. Dont go for the 280 since its a bigger chipset and is being discontinued soon if not already. You will probably need at least a 600 watt psu if you are aiming for the 4890. If you plan to sli in the future then you will need a even bigger psu.

Back