• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prime95 causing voltage drop means...?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wryph

Hi, new here.

So I've been having issues with bsod error 50 pagefaults. 99% sure it's hardware at this point so i swapped ram, stress tested the video card and just tonight ran prime95. I've got an old rig, Athlon 64 x2 6400. Cpu 1 on the small FFT always errors on the first test, Cpu 2 seems to run fine so far. Both fail on an in-place large FFT, cpu 1 on first pass, cpu 2 around 3rd-5th pass.

Anyhow, using cpuid I noticed my cpu vcore drops from 1.48~ to 1.088~ for like a second when prime95 starts. The textfile said this may indicate a PSU problem and I should check these forums. My PSU has about 6 (edit, actually closer to 9) years on it, antec 600w active pfc something or other iirc.

Thoughts? I guess I should mention the pagefile bsods or program crashes are more frequent when the room temperature is hotter, but I'm not in any danger zones by cpuid (neither board nor cpu ever over 80c at peak), but my psu exhaust is notably warmer than anything else by touch.

Last edited:
Can you post a label shot of the PSU?
That said, most Antec PSUs from longer than 3-4 years ago (they stopped using crapcaps and started using decent to excellent caps then) are dead now, a new PSU is probably a good idea.

No easy cam for it and it sits funny in my case to see its label but dug out the box. It's actually a 550 Neo He.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817103941

You think it's more likely the PSU over the CPU core 1? I think I have a 4200 somewhere I might test to be positive first if I can get some thermal grease since money's tight.

Last edited:
If you're good with high voltage electronics or know someone who is, it's pretty easy to swap the caps.

The Antec PSU issues are a combination of defective caps and "lazy" fan controls. Many newer PSUs have the same "lazy" smart fans, so an easy way to fix that (without voiding the warranty) is to add a case fan to pressurize the case.

New PSU time. Grab a Corsair CX430.
That's regardless of whether it's causing the current problems or not, really.
I'd put my money on it being the problem.

Alright, new PSU time then, guess it'd have to happen pretty soon regardless. Thanks for the help!

Actually, looking at the crx430, I'm a tiny bit worried about it in my case because of the longside fan mount instead of back. I have one of the antec cases with a bottom shaft with 120mm case fan for the psu, which floats it with about 1.5inches of clearance on top and bot, .5 inches on sides of clearance in the tunnel. IIRC that was why i opted initially for a back exhaust with frontside grate on the PSU since that seemed the most efficient cooling solution.

Think that's a valid concern?

1.5" is plenty for the PSU to breath. It's a good thing to consider, but don't worry about it in this case.

Back