• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prime95 relevance, and SuperPI32 too

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trypt

Hello, just wondering, is Prime95 still relevant as a test other than just to see temperatures at max usage? I mean specifically the 8150 overclocked (or any 8 core chip), does it actually test everything? I am still using the old P95 that you have to load a bunch of, but on my second computer that I just built with the 8150, I redownloaded P95 and now it appears you only need one instance and it shows all the cores and how they work.

However, in the store where I bought the H80 cooler, I was talking to the guy and he says Prime95 doesn't test the CPU functions now at all, or only a few of them, and mentioned some other torture test but I forget the name. If P95 is not adequate, what is the alternative? And furthermore, P95 still fails after an hour on a serious overclock so that means that it must use some function of the CPU, or FPU that is still used primarily on new cpus.

And for memory, is SuperPI32 still a good indication if the memory is stable at a certain timings/freq settings if it succeeds in 32M digits, and if not, what is it's alternative?

What programs should I get to torture test my cpu after an overclock, and my memory, for both stability and max temperature? I would like to stick to P95 but I can switch, there is no loyalty or anything, I'm just used to it.

Thank you in advance?

Prime95 ver 27.7 is where it's at. Get it, use custom blend with 90% of your ram.
End of story...
Some will say IBT or Lynx, or AIDA64, but the truth is prime95 is more than adecuate if used wisely.

Yes, Prime95 is relevant. What ivanlabrie suggests above is optimal especially for AMD FX, where Blend is actually harder on the CPU itself than Small/Large FFT and LinX/AIDA64 tests. (LinX/AIDA on a 4.7 GHz stable CPU will do upwards of 4.9 in those tests "stable")

Spi 32M no, not for 24/7 stability. I've passed 32M when benchmarking and went to save the screenshot and got an IRQL or MEMORY MANAGEMENT BSOD ;) ...but IMO general rule of thumb on FX is 100 MHz less than 32M pass is in the ballpark. ;)

Thanx guys greatly appreciated. Glad to see it's still awesome, and it looks cool now too, not like in the past where I ran two instances but didn't get much to look at, lol, not that it really matters.

Back