• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem installing AM3 X4 into a GA-MA69VM-S2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

m2pilot

Hi Guys

Hoping someone can help me out.

I have a GA-MA69VM-S2 mobo which has been running a Athlon II 64 4400+ cpu for years. Yesterday, I decided to upgrade to a quad-core cpu. I went out and got myself a Athlon II X4 620 AM3 cpu. At the gigabyte website, this cpu is listed as compatible if one upgrades to bios version f10e. I applied this bios upgrade. (http://www.giga-byte.com/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=2500#anchor_os)

Unfortunately, when I insert this cpu, nothing happens. When I turn on the computer, the cpu fan starts spinning, etc but I never get a BIOS screen displayed. It just sits there doing... nothing. So I have no way to tell if I need to adjust something.

My existing power supply is quite anemic (300w or so) -- could it be underpowered for this 95W cpu? I have a 500w sitting around I could install if needed.

If anyone could suggest some next-steps, I'm all ears!

Thanks,

Mark

Did the computer boot fine with the old CPU after the BIOS update? Have you tried clearing the BIOS with the new CPU?

I would install that higher power supply and then try again.

Make sure there's a BIOS setting or load setup defaults and save it BEFORE you insert the new CPU (of course, you updated the BIOS to the proper version).

To answer the questions of a variety of folks:

-- Yes, I did update to the correct bios.
-- I did boot the machine using the old CPU after the bios update
-- I did set the 'fail-safe defaults' in the bios before trying the quad core
-- I did not try the larger power supply

In the end I went out and bought a new (better) mobo. So I guess the question is moot. BTW - the new mobo (also an AM2+ board) booted right up.

Thanks everyone!

Back