• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

problem w/my 820 setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sulu

Registered
Hi guys,

I have following

P-D 820
ASUS P5LD2
460W ZIPPY ATX EPS PS
2 x 512mb Crucial pc5300 DDR2
seagate 400GB SATA
6600Gt
DVDRW

I am having problem overclocking my system.
I can get to 3.6 with 257 x 14 at 1.435V
the ram is running at ~500MHZ(lower)
It will pass dual prime 95 and pcmark 2004, 3damarks 2001, and 2005.

However when I try to run 3d marks 2003 I get error messeage saying that files corrupt also I get low score on pcmark 2005 hdd test.

If slow down the cpu to 3.4 of 3.5 then the problems go away. What can wrong guys?

You'll need to max out your FSB termination voltage/ MCH Voltage to get a stable overclock past 240 FSB on this board. It reaches it's limit around ~275 FSB. Your getting file corruption because your bus is out of sync with the rest of your comp. Make sure your PCIX is set too 100 and PCI sync clock is set to 33.33. FSB Termination voltage at 1.50 and MCH 1.65 (those are safe voltages)
I didn't have to add vcore to my 820 ti'll ~260 FSB. May want to try and see to keep temps down.

Almost sounds like the problem isn't the cpu. Does it run 3dmark 03 fine at stock settings? Pcmark05 has major problems with the new asus boards and dual core. I have the same problem with pcmark05. It always screws up the HD tests for some reason and i haven't been able to figure out whats wrong. Even at stock settings pcmark05 wont give me scores on the HD tests.

see the problem right away...it's in his system specs. 460 watt Zippy. I would not OC any of these new chips (6xx, 8xx) with anything less than a 500+ watt PSU, that is known to put out those watts at high amperage.

Edited to Add: Check the voltage on your rails under load with dual instances of Prime running with a DMM...NOT a software program. It must be checked with a DMM to get a reliable and accurate reading. Check to see that it is stable (doesn't fluctuate wildly) and that it holds the voltage within the ATX specification during the entire test period. I always check them like this...

12+, 5v, 3.3, then recheck 12+, 5v, and 3.3 to be sure I'm getting repeatable results.

Dual Prime torture test will load the CPU good enough to get a good indication of stability and proper voltage.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

Thank you for your posts. I've been really busy at work and didn't have time to check back or work on the machine.

I have set the PCI-E at 100 and PCI at 33. And raised the voltage to max on MCH, FSB, and ICH.

I still have problem with oclock. In fact I can not get to 3.6 until vcore is set to 1.435V.

I am using Thermaltake typhoon at the idle is around 45 to 49C. The Max temp with 2 prime at 3.6 was around 68C. The 2 instances of prime passes for 24hours with no instability. Only problem i have is with 3dmark 2003. 3d mark 2005 runs with no problem over and over, in fact all of futuremark programs runs flawlessly. It's really strange...
At 2.8 3dmarks 2003 runs okay, I got same problem maybe once. I even changed out to another 6600Gt and the same problem...
I will try to see if another PS will make difference.
In the mean time please let me know if there are any other suggestions :)

Back