• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem with a dinosaur

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

masterchief

My friend has an old peice of crap family computer... vintage 98 or so that had a tnt2 video card in it

Since he wanted to play any sort of 3d game we tried to put a new video card in... vintage post-98. When I put the new card in the computer gave me a cool little POSt... long short short short... then we tried putting the old card back in and the same thing happened... what fun :) he has no output to the monitor and his parents are threatening his life if we don't fix it.

It has an award bioc, P3 something or other and yeah other stuff... please keep this poor child from inducing the wrath of his parents and fix his comp!

(and yes i have resetted the bios... nothing)

I'd try re-seating the video card. I don't remember my beep codes off the top of my head.

By the Abit Award BIOS codes that Sonny was kind enough to make into a sticky ( http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=218664 ) one long and three short is a keyboard problem. AFAIK, Award BIOS codes are the same in anything with an Award BIOS.

I would go over it with a fine tooth comb, and reseat the RAM and try again.
What sort of video card are you trying to use in it?

I got the same beep code on my (relatively) new DFI motherboard; I realized that I hadn't pushed the video card all the way into the AGP slot. You might also get that type of error if the video card has a power connector that you haven't connected. Are you using AGP or PCI? I can't remember if AGP was around back then...

lol yeah it's agp but it doesn't have an external power input thingy... I'll see if it's the card not being in far enough.

WOW... Restorer I feel stupid now... I pressed it in and it jolted in... but it was barely noticable... I crossed my fingers and plugged it in and yeah yeah you rule... *smacks head* I really wanted to tweak that comp with parts layin around... *sigh*

Lol thanks for the help guys :)

Back