• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem with my 4 pins and the fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dark_QTR

Registered
Hey guys

So I recently bought Coolermaster 200mm fans and im pleased with the results
the problem is when I use the 4 pin socket in my motherboard, the fan spins very slowly, you can easily stop it by putting your finger!, however when I use my 3 pin socket , It might cut your finger off!.
too bad Im using all the 3 pin so I used my power supply temporarily until I figure out whats wrong

Last edited:
The fourth pin allows the motherboard to control the fan speed based on case / cpu temperature. You can probably set the fan to max speed via your bios. Worst case, you can just disconnect the fourth wire.

The fourth pin allows the motherboard to control the fan speed based on case / cpu temperature. You can probably set the fan to max speed via your bios. Worst case, you can just disconnect the fourth wire.

I'm already using 3 pin fans, I'll check the bios anyways
thanks

If you're using 3-pin fans on a 4-pin header, and the fan isn't spinning at full speed.. then my guess is that the BIOS is controlling those 4pin headers with voltage, rather than PWM.

I'd just turn 'smart' fan control off in bios, and you should be good.

If you're using 3-pin fans on a 4-pin header, and the fan isn't spinning at full speed.. then my guess is that the BIOS is controlling those 4pin headers with voltage, rather than PWM.

I'd just turn 'smart' fan control off in bios, and you should be good.

ks8b.jpg

Didnt work
Its like no matter what fan do I use, it doesn't get any higher than 200RPM (Notice FAN2)

Maybe the fan is using too much current and tripping the overcurrent protection?

What kind of fan trips OCP at 200 rpm?

Anyway, see how, in blue, it says Pwm? You need to change that as you do not have a own fan. If you enable smart fan can you can that from pwm to voltage?

Anyway, see how, in blue, it says Pwm? You need to change that as you do not have a own fan. If you enable smart fan can you can that from pwm to voltage?

It SHOULD be running at 700RPM like the rest of them, but not when using 4pin
Anyways, Yes enabling smart fan let you control the modes, its auto by default but you can choose PWM or Voltage, tried them both and restarted and it didnt solve it

Well, I think i'll stick with my power supply option since it does the job

If the overcurrent protector is a PTC, the initial inrush can trip it and whatever current it lets through after being tripped might be enough to get the fan moving a little.

Change Smart Fan to Enabled. Change the one under it to Voltage.

Have you considered the possibility that the MB/Bios decides that there is no need to ramp up the fan when in PWM because it is not "hot enough"?
Which is why its running slow in PWM mode.
If you plug a PWM fan in a 3pin header it should default to "full speed ahead"
While you CAN use voltage control on PWM fans, most of them dont like that very much.

Normally, if the fan is PWM, and since a more complete option to set ramp or curve is missing from the BIOS, it means that Giga has provided some software to control the ramp/curve, or that you can use Speedfan to control ramp/curve.

For the Gigabyte, if memory serves correctly, the CPU TEMP Warning needs to be "enabled" to enable to sensor/logic/circuit for the CPU Smart control to work correctly... If CPU Temp warning is disabled, most of the circuit is set to "report only".

But you need to verify that for that particular board.

PS: what BIOS version you on?
PPS: LOL Gigabyte being its helpfull self:
(Note 1) Due to Windows Vista/XP 32-bit operating system limitation, when more than 4 GB of physical memory is installed, the actual memory size displayed will be less than 4 GB.
(Note 2) Whether the CPU/system fan speed control function is supported will depend on the CPU/ system cooler you install.
(Note 3) Available functions in EasyTune may differ by motherboard model.
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2989#sp

BTW seems you're not the only one having problems with trying to control anything else as CPU_FAN.
http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/31106-ga-ex58-ud3r-system-fan-control.html

Last edited:
I once asked Gigabyte tech support about the SYS_FAN header in my GA-P55A-UD3P. He said that header will always respond to the chipset temps, no matter what. Which means that unless my chipset gets hot, any fan on that header stays slow. It looks as if SYS_FAN2 on your MB is the same.

I discovered that it modifies Voltage when the header is set to Voltage control. It controls PWM when set to PWM control, of course.

I use my GA-P55A-UD3P to test heatsinks, noise, temps, etc. I use that header only for reading the RPM of fans. It is no good to me otherwise.

Like you, I connect my non-CPU fans to the PSU. You could also use a Y-cable, but I think the PSU is a better option.

I discovered that it modifies Voltage when the header is set to Voltage control. It controls PWM when set to PWM control, of course.

doesn't that mean, that you'll have a steady 12v header when you set the BIOS to PWM? :sly:

doesn't that mean, that you'll have a steady 12v header when you set the BIOS to PWM? :sly:

Yes. If you use a 3-pin fan it will drone on steadily. I just over-tell things because some folks, unlike you, don't know enough yet to understand the part that goes unsaid. So I say it all.

Back