• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem with my APU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zyths

I have an a10-7850k and it was running modern games fine in 720p at medium graphics comfortably at 30fps. I recently purchased a Sapphire r9 270 and installed it, the graphics weren't being picked up at all despite installing it right and having the correct drivers. To try and fix I disabled integrated graphics but then to fix I needed to reset my BIOS. After that I sent back the GPU to amazon for a refund.

After all of that happened, my struggles to run Far Cry 3 on Low on 720p, this is not normal. I've reset my BIOS to default and nothing has changed. What have I dont to my APU?

How did you "reset the bios to default"? Sounds like you need to do a deep reset by pulling the CMOS battery off the motherboard for 30 minutes or so. If that doesn't work I would "reflash" the bios. Are you using the latest bios offered by the motherboard manufacturer?

In my BIOS there's an option to "Reset BIOS to default settings". I did that thinking that it would make my APU the way it was before I disabled my integrated graphics. As for the deep reset, I've done one of those.

Yes, I did one after I disabled my integrated graphics because my board wouldn't output video.

IF you get into windows with only the intergrated graphics "now" and the only issue is preformance, then I would believe the only thing in bios that might even have any effect is how much of the mobo ram is dedicated to the iGPU.

RGone...

I would also check to make sure the default IGPU frequency settings are correct. Don't trust that returning the bios to default set everything correctly. I would also check them in Windows with he free program "GPU-z". If everything looks correct then your next move I would think would be to reflash the bios or if there is a bios update then flash it with the newest version.

I would also check for thermal throttling of the CPU under load. Install CPU-z and open it on the desktop and run the IntelBurntest on "high" setting. Watch the CPU multiplier in CPU-z and see if it drops during that stress test. With the onset of hot summer weather in some areas this can become a problem on systems with marginal cooling. It is also possible that your heatsink might have been disturbed when you were installing or removing the video card such that there is no longer good contact between the heatsink and the CPU lid.

Back