• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem with my Samsung disk

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Danjul

Registered
Hello there guys, i hope you guys can help me out with this problem too... im just so confused right now!:bang head

i got a Samsung SpinPoint T133 400GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM wich i bought for some month ago, everything worked well until i was going to help a friend to install windows on his disk. he came over with his raptor disk on 34gb and i mounted it in my computer and still got my samsung 400gb mounted. and when i formatted his raptor with the windows xp pro installation partitioner it didn't quick format his disk instead it quick formatted my disk and it did it in about a millisecond. just saw the formatting bar and then it was done. after this my disk didnt boot windows or so and in linux(freebsd) it says its a fat16 partition on 400gb!? i have tried chkdsk /r in the windows recovery console and it didn't work. now im about to try the Spinrite program but it won't work either, its searching for like 2seconds and then it's done but it haven't even looked at the disk. now i thought its something wrong with the partition and i putted the windows cd in my drive and started the installation. and when i come to the partition manager on the windows xp pro installation it says my disk is only 131gb? what could this be? has my harddrive collapsed or what? in BIOS it still says it's 400gb. I really need to get this data back and im gonna get really really mad and angry if i can't and have to pay a company to help me. Do you guys got any solution why it's only 131gb? or have any tip of programs that i could try to recover my data? Would be very nice if you helped me out.

oh. btw, the reason why i putted the xp installation in my drive was due to i thought i delete and make a new partition and quickformat it and then run spinrite but it didn't work as i told you.

Thanks in advance!:)
/Daniel

EmAn said:
yea if you want that data back after its reformatted ur gonna need $$$

and then its still hit and miss

eh, you can get the data back quite easily after one normal format..
anyway i need help due to the 131gb problem? do you guys think my drive allready has packed and left?

naw,check your BIOS settings. I think for 400gb it needs to be set to LBA, but I'm not sure. My guess is the raptor screwed up your previous BIOS settings.

EmAn said:
you can???

please tell me how to get the data back

but for your 131gb problem:shrug:

for example you can run getdataback for ntfs/fat.. works really good but i haven't the money to buy it otherwise you could try the Spinrite.. heard much about it..

Back