• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem with NetBSD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cegha

Registered
ok i got a old laptop (specs in sig) i successfully installed NetBSD on it, and am trying to get X working. i went through xf86config, and then when im done and goto run "startx" it starts then like exits back, and says something was wrong with my mouse.

For a laptop which kind of mouse do i need to select, because it's one of those touchpad typed ones.

khiloa said:
If I am thinking correctly the little touchpad mice are hooked up internally using a PS/2 connection.
Most of them are. That doesn't necessarily bar them from needing a driver, however, since nothing bars PS/2 devices from having drivers, and touchpad components are often quite proprietary. They probably don't perfectly emulate a standard PS2 or USB-HID mouse (for instance, tap-clicking isn't a defined behavior for a PS2 mouse, neither is down-up-down dragging or two-fingered scrolling) either, meaning a driver may be required for proper device behavior.

I think there's a 'touchpad-default' or some sort of other default option for touchpads.

ok this is the specific error stuff i get

System: `/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/xkbcomp -w 1 -R/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb -xkm -m us -em1 "The XKEYBOARD keymap complier (xkbcomp) reports:" -emp"> "-eml "Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server" keymap/xfree86 compiled/xfree86.xkm'

Fatal server error:
Cannot open mouse (No such file or directory)

That is all the error stuff i get so it's either the keyboard or mouse that is screwing up and i think it's the mouse.

I don't know the specifics of your mouse or netbsd version, but that sounds more like an X problem than a OS specific problem. Your problem appears to be with your X-config file, mouse section of course.

Back