• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem with water flow in my first water cool

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hieubui25

I just finished putting together my first water cool system but the flow is too weak. I see the water flowing through but it barely moving. Here is my set up, I am using thermaltake the tower 900 case:

Reservoir (laying horizontally)>Pump1 (position lower than reservoir, right side of the case)>Pump 2 (position lower than reservoir, left side of the case)>Radiator 1 ( higher than reservoir and pump, position vertically, on left and back side of the case)>Radiator 2 (position vertically, right back side of the case)>GPU 1 > GPU 2> Ram 1 > Ram 2> CPU Monoblock (all components are positioned at the highest point, the case design) > reservoir

Due to the case design, I ran quite a number of vertical tubes (6) and 2 radiators that requires the pump to push the water up vertically. I am not sure if this cause the problem that my flow can't seem to flow through the system.

make and model of pumps please.
please make sure you have the inlets and outlets plumbed correctly.

Vertical lines wont be an issue. I agree with Caddi. Check that the res feeds the inlet port of the pump(s).

Also check the pump speed either on the pump its self or in bios/software depending if it's PWM or not.

another thing, in a water cooling loop you should not "see" a lot of action in the water, a little jostling when you first boot the rig.
if you do not have all the air out you might see a little rippling in the reservoir.
in my rigs you see no action as I keep them slam full.
how are your temps?

another thing, in a water cooling loop you should not "see" a lot of action in the water, a little jostling when you first boot the rig.
if you do not have all the air out you might see a little rippling in the reservoir.
in my rigs you see no action as I keep them slam full.
how are your temps?

I was just going to say this. Are you sure the water isnt flowing?? Do you have an inline flow meter?

- - - Updated - - -

Unless you are attempting to fill the system, then you might need to make sure the pump is at 100%.

Thanks all for quick reply and I apologize for the delay in responding. I was able to find out the problem. It was the inlet on my pump. I have my pump laying horizontally and switch from using the inlet on top (side inlet if the pump stand vertically) to the inlet in the middle (middle top if the pump stands vertically) and it works amazingly.

However, I end up with another problem that my system will not boot up at all :(. There is no post and the number on the motherboard stays at 00. I have checked all the cables connected to the motherboard and I am sure they are plugged in correctly with power (LED on board light up). I tried to clear the CMOS by pressing the button on the I/O (my mobo is asus rog V extreme 10) and it still does not boot. I tried to disable each set of ram dim (A, B, C, D) and PCI express slot using the switch on the mobo but it still does not boot up. I removed the battery on the mobo and reset the CMOS using the jumper but there is still no luck. I contacted ASUS rep to see if they could find out what the problem is but it seems the guy is helpless. He told me that it is my ram that might cause the problem since my ram is not listed as compatible product with ASUS mobo.

Here are the list of my components I am using:
MOBO: ASUS ROG V Extreme 10
CPU: i7-6950x
RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ 64GB (8 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3466 (PC4 27700) Desktop Memory Model F4-3466C16Q-32GTZKW
GPU: 2x Titan X Pascal (2016 model)
PSU: Corsair AX 1500i
Case: Thermaltake The Tower 900

Would anyone happen to know what might be the problem or if there is anything else I could do? Since I stripped all my components off to install water cooling, I pretty much voided all their warranty :(

The RAM does sound like an issue. I will check but now thing is getting worse :(

I used one of my old PSU (760w) to try to power up the mobo by replacing the 24 pin, 8pin and 4pin to see if the PSU was an issue. Well, I didn't realize my old PSU can only supply up to 12V with max 60A. After I pressed power up, I heard a very light clink sound and the LED on mobo dim a little bit but nothing run. So I thought I might have some plugs not plugged in correctly and replug all 3 cables to mobo and tried again. The same thing happen and that's when I realized my old PSU might not supply enough power so I switch everything back to my new PSU and now the mobo does not start at all. It makes a clink sound and dim the LED everytime I tried to boot up but nothing runs :(

Did I just wasted my mobo? Does anyone know what happen and if there is something I should do or try?

First and foremost, :welcome: to OCFs.

Can we please get some images of your rig, front, back, etc. It will help us immensely.

2nd, give us a run down list of your PC components and than your water cooling loop.

I will say, when always putting together a rig, two major things you want to do so you don't run into complications down the road. 1st is to test your components on air and even install windows prior to installing the water cooling loop, outside of the case. I learned this the hard way. Next, you should make sure you've cleaned all your custom water cooling gear, especially the rads. During the manufacturing process, they can leave bits of metal which can end up flowing through your loop and possibly damaging your pump and or clogging up your cooling channels in your blocks.

Now back to your RAM, there could be issues with it but it will be hard since you have a waterblock over them. Honestly, all you need is a CPU block or monoblock and GPU blocks for a cooling loop. The rest is all for show and won't make a different in performance.

Thank you for your warm welcome Jack.

I just learned to test your components prior to installing the water cooling loop the hardway too =[. I found that both my PSU and MOBO are bad.

One question, could I use the water block as passive heat-sink for CPU while testing the components? I don't have any Air CPU cooler readily available.

My rig components are:
CPU: Intel Extreme i7-6950x
MOBO: ASUS Rampage V Edition 10
RAM: Gskill Tridentz 64gb 3466MHz (8x8)
GPU: Dual Titan X Pascal (2016 Model)
PSU: Corsair AX 1500i
Case: Thermaltake The Tower 900
Waterblock: EKWB Mono block (for both mother board and CPU)
GPU waterblock: bitspower
ram waterblock: bitspower
Pump: EKWB D5 Pump (x2)
Fan Controller: Aquarero 6 XT

I will upload some pictures after I test my new board tonight.

I wouldn't advise on running a block with no proper loop to it as it will overheat eventually. You could look for a budget air cooler like the Hyper 212 Evo or grab one used from ebay would suffice.

Back