• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem with Windows 7 Universal ISO

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

knoober

Ive created a working Universal Install disc using the instructions found here, but there is one small hitch and I hope folks around here can figure it out and lend a hand with it.

As I said Ive successfully created the universal ISO. It can be written to USB with rufus/any other USB creation tool or burned to a DVD. No problem there. The problem comes in when I try to use a restore disc. I am prompted to use a disc that fits the version I am running. The first time this happened I simply went and remade a restore disc from within the OS and tried that one.... still a no go. Its not a huge problem because diligent imaging is an effective workaround, but I would still like to figure this one out. As it is, my guess is that the restore disc tries to read the ei.cfg (or whatever it turns into after install) and cannot find it. My eventual plan is to combine my universal disc with the updates found in this thread, but as I said I would like to have all the kinks worked out first. Thanks in advance :)

I think I had that problem with my W7 Home Premium. I tried a repair or restore from the install DVD after SP1 was installed and got a message that the OS was a newer version than the one I was trying to use on the disc. Was your .iso started with a pre SP1 copy, and SP1 slipstreamed in to it? To fix mine I did a fresh install of W7, installed SP1, then made an .iso of the OS to use for repairs.

. Was your .iso started with a pre SP1 copy, and SP1 slipstreamed in to it?
I am not 100 certain without digging out the actual disc (which has been stored away for now because ISO's are awesome!) but I believe that SP1 was included in the disc

To fix mine I did a fresh install of W7, installed SP1, then made an .iso of the OS to use for repairs.

You can create a repair disc from within the OS that works? or you just use the ISO you created to get into the repair console when needed?

SP1 was not released until February, 2011. That website where you found the Universal Install disk build instructions is dated May of 2010. When you created the restore disk, had you already updated to SP1 with Windows Update? The updater wasn't broken until SP1. Worked fine before that and would get you up to SP1 but once there is immediately broken.

No, I did a fresh install of the original (non SP1) and updated it to current, at the time, status with no other changes. No additional drivers, etc. I installed ImgBurn on a flash drive and made an .iso of the C:\ drive. ImgBurn made it a bootable .iso burned to DVD. I used that for years as a repair disc.

SP1 was not released until February, 2011. That website where you found the Universal Install disk build instructions is dated May of 2010. When you created the restore disk, had you already updated to SP1 with Windows Update? The updater wasn't broken until SP1. Worked fine before that and would get you up to SP1 but once there is immediately broken.

I checked my disc and it states as having Windows 7 + SP1. As we speak I am testing m Universal install disc combined with the Convenience Rollup thread from here at OCF in a virtual machine. So far so good, but Ive only gotten partway through installing the first version.

I think I may have answered my own question here though..... I think I need to make an ISO of the recovery disc and add the other version info it. Now the question is what do I add in and to what file? :)

I checked my disc and it states as having Windows 7 + SP1. As we speak I am testing m Universal install disc combined with the Convenience Rollup thread from here at OCF in a virtual machine. So far so good, but Ive only gotten partway through installing the first version.

I think I may have answered my own question here though..... I think I need to make an ISO of the recovery disc and add the other version info it. Now the question is what do I add in and to what file? :)

Try adding just KB3172605 to the slipstreamed build.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/w...fix-final.html

Back