• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Processor 85-90 degree, water 40-45 -> it's O.K.?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kmk68

Hello.

One small question.
If the processor temperature (7820X 8x4.2Ghz) is 85 degrees Celsius and the water temperature at the inlet to the radiator is 40-45 degrees
(240 cooler, 2x120 fan) is it ok?

Grizzly Argonaut, AiO Silentium 240 cooling.

I just mean a fairly large core and water difference. Is it normal?
Is there anything else that can be obtained by better paste (liquid metal) or delide of the processor?

Thanks, regards,
Kajetan

Is this under full CPU load (100%)?

It takes time to saturate at water loop and 100% load usually doesn't last for very long under normal conditions. Grizzly makes a very high quality paste so you may only see a 2°C difference between it and the top paste available. Delidding can improve considerably more in many cases. I'm not sure about the 7820X, though.

Is that temp whilst running a benchmark or gaming or video editing etc? If so the cpu temp is a little high for stock speeds but otherwise not excessive as it is know to run hot.

If that temp is at idle you have a problem somewhere.

As for the water temp, that may be a little high, it would be more beneficial to have the temp after the radiator as well to see how well it is performing. I know my water temps are around 25-30 degrees after a few hours of gaming in a 22 degree room. The high temps maybe though because your cpu is running hot. Need more information basically as mentioned above.

What case do you have as well? What fans do you have on the case. What fans on the radiator.

Ok.

It is under stress. 100% load. 8x4.2GHz. And it lasts a long time because I process movies and graphics. 30-60 minutes.

CPU temperature for these conditions in my opinion OK. I am surprised by the big difference (40 degrees!) between the core and water flowing into the water cooler.
At the WC input I have 40-45 degrees, at the output 30-35 degrees. At an ambient temperature of 22 degrees and fans (2x120) working at full.

I know it's not great cooling. It's basically enough for me. But, I repeat, I am surprised by the large difference between the cpu core and water flow?

It's not the first time I've been assembling a computer. Replacement from a large air fan to water fan (before overclocking) gave a decrease from 90 to 75.
Next I turned up how much temperature allows. Now is 180W / 4x4.2 GHz and it's O.K. for me. :)

I just mean is such a big difference core-> water is normal with water cooling? Do I have something wrong?

Regards,
Kajetan

No, everything is running correctly. Loading your CPU to 100% will cause high heat. Per Intel your CPU will thermal throttle at ~99°C so you still have plenty of room and nothing to be concerned about. As far as the difference between CPU and Water temperature, this isn't surprising. While water is one of the best thermal conductors, it's not 100% efficient.(Think how long it takes for water to boil with a much larger and hotter source.)

No, everything is running correctly. ... water is one of the best thermal conductors, it's not 100% efficient.

Ok, thanks.

[EDIT]

Yes! I did it. :) First delid (using a vice :D).
Grizzy Hydronaud under and above the hat.
23 degrees less after the delid.

Now 8x4.4 GHz -> 260W -> 98 degrees :D

(With water cooling AIO Silentiom 2x120)

IMG_0144.jpg

Last edited:
Back