• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Processor comparison, need advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yuriman

My new gaming system will have an Nforce2 and a new cpu, which can be a 2400, 2500Barton, and a 2600 333. My friend has been telling me that the barton, due to lower mhz, will be outpreformed by a 2400. I was looking at the 2600, because its 250mhz faster, but the barton has the cache, is it worth it? Is it another marketing gimik, and not realy up to par with thwe real 2500?

in non intense stuff, the tbreds would work best. in intense stuff the barton will be great. usually its the cpu intensuve stuff that matters, so I would go for the barton. you can get em really cheap too.

jlin453 said:
I've been considering switching to a barton also, but sadly enough the only cpu intensive thing I do is fold :D

ALL the reason to switch!!!!

un cpu intensive things, are things that dont really matter if you have a 1500 or a 3000, intensive things are just aboput everything else. that is why i recommend barton to just about everyone. they dont o/c as good, but hey, 2500 for 80 something dollars ?

I think the 2500 and the t'bred B 1700 are both good contenders. The 1700 will Oc further, but the Barton will give you a 5% performance gain due to it's extra cache.

What would be difference in conerting divx to mpeg2 file on both?

Like barton 2500 stock vs. Xp1700+ @ 2.2 ghz

They would probably perform about the same, but if you multitask a lot, the extra cache will help you a little.

I own a 1700 dl3tc upmw 0310 and a Barton and I think they are both great though I prefer the barton in daily use because its coupled with the better stuff. Either way yo will be happy, just make sure you get a 1.5v core B. best bet is to go with the www.excaliberpc.com cpus.

I dont think the extra cache perforance gain is enough to really notice, but the Barton is $95 at excaliber pc, and the 1700 is $72. There isn't really that much of a price difference, so I would go with the Barton.

Get the Barton...later on when the newer games come out, you will appreciate the extra on die cache, a lot of the newier games comming out are very CPU intense and the bartons will out preform the Tbreds because of the extra on die cache...and NewEgg also has the XP2500 Barton retail on sale for 95.00...

Back