• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Professional Opinions Needed!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
+1 for the Coolermaster 212 EVO @ $28. I don't see a reason to spend $70+ on a cooler unless you are trying to eek out every last MHz on air...

Last edited:
The Hyper 212 was good, no, great for the 2500K. You could really get far on it. Anything since that, IMO, is not well suited to the 212. IB and Haswell run hotter (though technically, they are outputting less heat) and so require a more significant cooling solution than a 212, in my opinion. I would run nothing less than an NHD14 (or Phanteks TCP14 or whatever it's called) or (if you must), 120-240mm AIO liquid (H80i or better). Though I dislike the AIO coolers for various reasons.

I can strap one on and, depending on the quality of the Haswell 4c/8t CPU, reach 4.2-4.4Ghz. That is about where they crap out (4.4Ghz+ voltage wall) anyway. Its up to the OP if he feels that an extra 100-200Mhz IF HE IS LUCKY, is worth paying over 3x for a cooler. ;)

Last edited:
If you are dead set on the processor, Haven't already bought it, and can wait a few weeks Devil's Canyon or the Haswell refresh will be out. You will gain VEEERY slight increases to performance, and a significant reduction in heat due to the new heatspreader method used. You might be able to clock it up a bit higher than haswell with the same cooling solutions.

It is compatible with all other components listed, With exception of the mobo prior to installing a bios update, which is already available. In other words, nothing but good can come of it, esp since it is the same price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117372

The 25th it releases.

Back