• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Program To Test Power Supply?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hmm I guess maybe try running a bunch of benchmarks like prime, atitool, and an HD benchmark at the same time while spinning up a CD? I dont think there is a specific program.

Best bet is to run Prime95 and rthdribl at the same time. This should put the max load on your system, then use mbm5 to watch the voltages. Look for min/max volts between idle/load and also ability to sustain that voltage over time. If you want further accuracy you'll have to use a multimeter or oscilloscope to check each rail. This is the best test you can do besides removing it and hooking it to an actual power supply testing machine.

If you want to end up getting a multimeter to test, check your pepboys and other car places ads tomorrow (sunday). I got my digital multimeter for $10 at pepboys and its accurate up to about 0.25%. It normally retails for $25 and they seem to have a lot of sales. Worth a shot if you want to go that route, they might just have one on sale again.

an auto parts store will definately have cheap multimeters, and will be on par with radioshack meters of similar price range. as an everyday meter i have a $65 radioshack one, nothing too special aside from frequency counter and a capacitance meter, but those are very rarely used. a $10 one should do ya fine, especially for checking rails.

Back