• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Programs slow to respond to inputs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

340Duster

A quick and to the point of the issue, and things I have tried to resolve this. The laptop is an i7 with 8GB of (some kind) ram, Win 7 64bit, etc.

Boot and load times are not an issue, however with nearly any program, be it Excel or Photoshop, mouse inputs are beyond slow. I have to hover over a button for a second before it even highlights. It seems that if the programs are open for a little while that it is somewhat better, but still not acceptable for how new the computer is. CPU usage and memory usage are very low and no particular process seems to be hogging resources and causing the issue.

I have formatted and completed a new install within the month, ran the computer with minimal programs installed, with all drivers and windows updates installed with no change. It's not a virus or any kind of malware. I have tried various sizes of virtual memory/ paging file with no change either. I've tried another set of memory modules with perhaps a slight improvement, but it could have been the placebo effect as well. My gaming rig I built works perfectly with none of this nonsense, but I can't figure it out aside from blaming it on something that HP has installed, or with its proprietary drivers that are causing some conflict.

Thanks in advance for any help.

What Hell Hound 065 said. Had a Lenovo built-in mouse pad, same on a Dell, response times became slower over time. I bought a cheapie wireless mouse for them and the problems went away.

I've been running it with a KVM switch actually for the most part. I will disable the synaptics hardware and see what happens. I still think it's more of a memory allocation/ or maybe chipset driver? Idk what would cause a core issue like this.

Update, I tried running a USB mouse and disabling the touchpad. No change in the issue. This is really frustrating. Any other suggestions? I feel it's a setting or driver issue. I haven't contacted HP, only because I feel they're going to ask all of the stupid simple questions and/ or generally be unhelpful.

Back