• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project Air Cube - Going back to air

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'd have nightmares about getting the BIOS just the way I wanted it - and then having some baby crawl over on the floor and hit the BIOS reset button, though. :mad: :mad:
Yeah, you have to be careful. I have a DFI MB so I can save my BIOS settings, but, I don't think it would be good to hit that switch while your computer was on!

Is that floor decking steel, aluminum, or something else?

It is actually a sample celing tile for a drop celing. I am finishing my basement, and this diamond plate (looked at several colors) was one pattern I was looking at (though so far the wife isn't liking my choice). It is basicaly a special type of plastic. I was going to go with aluminum diamond plate, but I can't seem to make it up to the place where I need to get it from. Also, with some of the painting I am gong to do, I think this will look better.

Ceiling tile, eh? Could have fooled me, looks like the real decking metal..

Well.....it looks great on the floor of your case. I'd leave the interior design choices to your wife, though. :D :D

Sick!!!

sick dude..i wanna see this when its finished..probably gonna me a typhoon in there...Bless!!!

I can't imagine what that ceiling is going to look like.. No offense, but your wife is right, that's gonna be ugly.

Ceiling tile, eh? Could have fooled me, looks like the real decking metal..

Well.....it looks great on the floor of your case. I'd leave the interior design choices to your wife, though. :D :D

I showed my wife your post, she laughed pretty hard. But in my defense, it is not really like a large family room, more of a office/computer building/work area. It is not overly large and I have actually seen this exact ceiling, it looks pretty cool.
But, to each his own :)

sick dude..i wanna see this when its finished..probably gonna me a typhoon in there...Bless!!!

Thanks.
I hope to have my CPU cooler in tomorrow. Trust me, it is plenty large and it is designed for a case like mine (where the mother board is laying down flat).

I hope so, I am *so* hooked on your project - or maybe it's that sweet face in your avatar. :D

IAC: Merry Christmas to All the Project Followers.

I hope so, I am *so* hooked on your project - or maybe it's that sweet face in your avatar. :D

IAC: Merry Christmas to All the Project Followers.

Okay, well since you asked, sort of :)

Here are a few pics from Christmas.

Here you can really see just how much my Daughter loves Santa :santa2:

Kids on Santa's Lap

I got my wife a new 'portrait' lens for her D60, seems to be working well. It is a bit hard to get
used to since there is no way to zoom in or out. It is also a manual focus, but the pictures turn out very sharp.

Christmas Pic 1

Christmas Pic 2

And here is some of the hardware that my nice wife got me for Christmas:

xmas.jpg

Happy Holidays!

Okay, back to the mod...

Last edited:
that is an awsome case, good work man!

Thanks!

Are my eyes f***ing with me or did that thing come set up for dual psu's.

Yes there is an option to mount dual power supplies. The back of this case comes in many
different configurations. The two standard are the one I got with 2 power supply mounts,
or you can get 3 x 120 mm fan mounts (as opposed to the two that I have).

Last edited:
Update 12-25-08

Side rant: Does any one else hate the standard 775 Intel mounts (non-bolt through) as much as me (and I hate them pretty bad!)?

Now, because I am still waiting on a few parts I am moving on to finishing the rest of the case.

Now it is time to move away from the front of the case and finish up some details inside. The first
up will be to cut a access/cooling hole in the motherboard tray. This will allow the option of
mounting a heat sink on the back of the CPU and will provide easy access to mounting and
un-mounting the heat sink.

A few minutes with the Dremel and here is the access hole. This motherboard tray is very
stiff and cutting out this material did not make any difference. You can also see that I put
some of the hex mesh on the back of the motherboard tray.

Here is the back of the case. It is hard to tell but there is a plexi-glass cover over the lower
power supply hole. For this project, I will not need the extra power supply. Now it is time to
mesh out the rear fans.

A few snips with the scissors and the back is done. I found that a pair of heavy duty scissors
was by far the easiest way to cut this mesh.

Last edited:
nice and clean so far! Can't wait to see the finished product!

Thanks!
Yeah, I can't wait to finish this thing either. I am being pleged by shipping delays on some small but
important parts. At my house alone there has been over a foot of snow between Christmas Eve and
today. Plus, I had everything shipped to my work which has been closed since the 23rd. As soon as
the parts show up I will go in and grab them.

UPDATE 12-30-08

Okay, here we go. There is a bunch of small stuff left to finish up this mod. The order
will be kind of random as that is basically how it is being finished.

Now it is time for some paint. Since this case is all brushed aluminum, I thought I would
accent the front and some of the insides with a bit of black. Here is the cross support
for the motherboard and the two front bezels.

Here is the front of the case with the newly painted bezels.

Now it is time to wire up all this crap. There are a ton of wires and many different
ways to hide them (as much as possible). I really thought about sleeving everything,
but I want to finish this up in the next few days. I might revisit the wiring at a later
date and upgrade to a full sleeve job. For now I am going to use some simple plastic
wire conduit.

Here I am wiring up the side of the case where the front switch panels are going.
There is a lot of wiring here to clean up. Had to move into the kitchen as the table
height is much better for this and the lighting is also better. Can't wait to finish my
basement (I still like my ceiling tiles!).

Just a close up of some of the wires.

Getting there...

Here you can see the plastic wire conduit. Not as good looking as sleeving, but I
think it looks good enough for now.

Here is the front almost complete. I just need to add some front USB and Firewire
to the lower switch panel (not shown here) that sits under the fan controller.

Time to get some lights going. I have used almost every color they make
for all of the cases I have built over the years except these ones, they
are white.

pic45.JPG

And here she is with the lights on. I need to order one more single 15" to
put in the bottom.

Finally received my GPU cooler (that I ordered almost a month ago) and
some other parts. I will be using one of the brackets to put in the front
for my USB and Firewire ports and the other, as you will see below will
go inside the case.

Here is my internal USB connector. This connects the multimedia display
and the case mounted LCD display. I should have used an adapter or cut
the ends off and put on a connector, but I didn't want to make anything
permanent in case I need to change it out in the future.

Here it is from the inside. I might add a small bracket to support it at the
bottom, but I won't be messing with it very often and it is fairly solid.

That will probably be the last update for a little bit. My laptop is not setup to edit
my website (where all this is being copied from) and I need to tear down my
current rig to get the video card out for the new computer. Everything else will be
staying in the old case (which is going to be turned into a server). I will probably
keep the water setup for the server so I will be doing another case for that computer.

Looks very nice, i like how you tended great detail in managing all of the wires and cables it turned out very well!

Thanks for sharing all this with us, Skahtul. Very interesting and unique.

Back