• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Embedded Mini ITX & custom lexan case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bender

Mysteriously Changing Senior
In Thelemac's Basement Eating the Chickens
Thanks to pik4chu I recieved two Optoma ST320 thin client boards that origionally ran Windows CE 4.0. These are really just tiny x86 PC boards so running a different OS is not a problem. With parts from two machines I was able to get 1 up and running. The specs dont sound like much but then agian these machines were only designed for win CE. The CPU is a National Semiconductor Geode GX1 running at 300mhz. Ram is a 144pin 64MB from a notebook. For hard disks I recieved an 8mb disk on chip which looks like an old bios chip. The other drive is a 32MB Apacer IDE flash drive. I dug around ebay and found a compact flash adapter for the 2.5" IDE on the board. This means I can run a 2GB CF card instead of the 8MB or 32MB solid state drives. The only problem I can see with the CF adapter is a few capacitors are in the way. This is nothing a little soldering cant take care of.

My plans for this rig are, no moving parts, and a custom lexan case. So far I have a few pieces of lexan cut to size so I will start putting it all together soon.

Ubuntu Linux is barely smaller than the complete system
ubuntuitx.jpg

Here is a better pic of the board. Each X represents components I may relocate. I didnt want the PS2 ports on the front and the power button is getting changed completely. The capacitors are in the way of my new CF to IDE adapter. USB ports I think I still want on the front but in a better location.
relocatecomponents.jpg

I got this switch from an OCF member ages and ages ago. I will finally get to use it here.
uberswitch.jpg

Not bad for $20 shipped :)
flashdisk.jpg

I will continue to update and streamline this thread as the project progresses. I will try to get pictures from each step of the lexan case construction. Now the question is what do I do with this rig when its finished :shrug:

I think I have decided this rig is going to be dedicated to oldschool gaming. It will be somewhat like a console. OS of choice will be 98se. I should have the first pics of the case up tonight.

Bender said:
I think I have decided this rig is going to be dedicated to oldschool gaming. It will be somewhat like a console. OS of choice will be 98se. I should have the first pics of the case up tonight.

would it be possible to NT4.0? then it would really be old school :p

it may, if i recall NT 4 is limited to Direct x 4 i think? or 3 ... i don't remember and some emulators may need a higher ver of direct x to work

Well here it is getting close to finished. The 1/4" lexan is overkill for something like this but I don’t have any thinner. I could have done a much better job if I had taken more time on cleaning up the edges of the plastic before bonding. I use ambro pro weld to chemically melt the pieces together. Once cured the joint is as strong as the plastic itself. I’m going to wait until tomorrow before I work on the front piece. The pieces are not going to move on there own but if I start fussing around things will get ugly.

DSCF3512.jpg

Here it is put together but no where near finished. The front pannel is snugg in place but not bonded yet. I am going to use regular motherboard standoff screws although they will be upside down. The screws will be counter sunk on the outside of the case. This way I will be able to remove the board from the case later on.

I have to figure out if I am going to move any of the front ports to the back. If so I need to get some soldering braid since I can't find mine. I have already relocated the power switch but you won't get to see that until the front pannel is done.

The handle is sitting on top and not attached. What do you think should I try it or not?
vernors.jpg

imo the black throws the whole thing off. if you could try to make the handle out of lexan, i would.

I like it alot!!:beer: :drool:

Yay! you did some really cool stuff with those. Looks like they definately found a good home and I'm anxious to see this as it progresses :)

that thing is AWSOME! cool lil box u got there, ive always wanted a tiny lil computer like that. always wanted a lil fanless no moving parts via box.

Great job! I'm loving being back in the forums and seeing these projects!

I must agree with Evil about the handle. If you can't make it out of lexan, maybe you could go for a metal handle, or copper tubing inserted in the lexan.

Cheers.

yea if you use a handle go crome.. copper would look out of place to me on lexan.

Bender said:
Has anyone tried sandblasting to get an etched finish?
should work just tape off the surrounding area. what are you going to try to etch?

Back