• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Metal Slug

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nothing much going on today because I'm waiting for supplies to come in the mail for the last few parts that I need to machine. I'm currently just wiring a few remaining parts, a process not really interesting enough to warrant images.
gvblake22 said:
Very cool!
Are those hinges on the top of that top most cover on the front of the case? Will that flip up?
Nope, it's attached to the tray of the optical drive.

Last edited:
Two layers of yellow cake with butter cream icing inbetween. Then covered completely with milk chocolate icing, and decorated with butter cream icing.
SO sugary that eating a big piece is nigh impossible.

Captain Slug said:
Two layers of yellow cake with butter cream icing inbetween. Then covered completely with milk chocolate icing, and decorated with butter cream icing.
SO sugary that eating a big piece is nigh impossible.

"Hello Captain Slug! My name is Diabetes! How are you?"

:D

On a more serious note, I'm diggin this project, looks very nice. The handles and trim really bring it together. Great job!

Did all the boring stuff today. Wired in the tailed LEDs. Made the power cable for the video card.
0049.jpg
Made a low-profile molex for the pump relay by clipping the length of its pins before crimping them onto the wire, then cutting off the excess length from its shell.
0050.jpg
And a peek at what the Power supply area is going to look like.
0051.jpg
More supplies should come tomorrow so I can make the last part.

Yay! The small 5.4" LCD unit is finished. This was adapted from a cheap gamecube LCD unit that I bought on eBay long ago.

It's displaying in black and white at the moment because I don't have the right dongle for the video card on my current machine so it's getting the S-Video driver setting instead of the composite one. But I just wanted to make sure my wiring was correct.
0052.jpg
On the back there's a molex power input, two composite video inputs, and a toggle switch that allows you to toggle between off, or either of the video inputs. Since this will be powered from the computer itself it's not a good idea to have the toggle switch controlling the 12vdc+. That might lead to the 12v line on the PSU shifting in either direction when the unit is turned on or off. So instead the toggle switch simply disconnects the video signal, and the screen backlight automatically turns itself off. This is also preferable because even if the switch is in the off position the display still gets recognized as being connected by the computer thanks to the grounded shielding.
0053.jpg
The rear leg is slide adjustable to allow for different viewing angles.

Tomorrow I work on the handles. Then it will be time to clean up after myself and get the case parts sent off to be powder-coated.

Last edited:
Captain Slug said:
It's going to allow me to monitor the health of this machine, and I can flip the toggle switch to the other machine to monitor Folding Work Unit statistics.
LOL!! That's awesome! :) Great idea.

Its amazing how much you can accomplish in a short time when some one already has all the ideas.

I just like how CS thinks of everything. I am still back in level of one little thing at a time.

Nothing happened today except cleaning up the rather large mess that resulted from several days of constant progress. I'm waiting for supplies to make the new handle design to come in the mail. The frame pieces will be grey PVC, while the handles themselves will be solid black Acetal/Delrin.

Ahh ok. For some reason i thought you were putting it in the side or front....

On a side note -- this freezing rain stuff makes it really hard to want to get outside to take my math quiz.

This is just an amazing, clean and simple, mod. I don't know that it would count as a budget mod after all the ordered parts are factored in, but, well, who cares- it looks great!

And- thank you for bringing Samurize to my attention, too!

Jesus, and to think i was just happy with my neat wiring...

Very nice mod, i especially like the interior, all the PVC surrounding the water block/ram and such. It makes me want to bust out all of my spare parts and create a water cooled lan machine as well, i believe i have everything i need...except an unyielding brick wall of patience....

Back