• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Metal Slug

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
No, my hands still hurt pretty bad. And when I said braid, I meant I braided the wires. It's a fairly relaxing thing to do.
baby_mkv_9999996.jpg
It gives the multi-conductor cord a consistent shape and flex.

Looking awesome! Hope your hands feel better, you'll need em' if you're going to finish it :)

That cake makes me want to eat my monitor. :drool:

okies ... let me re-phrase then ... where are you getting reliable leak-proof swivel fittings and it also makes me thing some quick-connects would be cool too ... that way one could hard mount a fill port and disconnect when one needs to drain ... got me thinking, since im getting ready to redo my loop soon ... any source info and pricing would be greatly appreciated

Captain Slug said:
No, I'm using a PVC 1/4" NPT Female Tee with two swivel fittings and the drain valve. The swivels will allow me to orient the drain valve in whatever direction I want so that I can keep the filling cup upright while bleeding, then tip it out to empty it after closing off the valve.

Loop is setup and leak-free. The connections to and from the radiator are run with 7/16" ID 5/8" OD opaque black PVC tubing on polyester tube to stem adapters I made. I really really love this final setup because now all of the connections use instant tube fittings which allow you to disconnect any part of the loop easily. The Tee is also installed in it's final location. I can unscrew the hose separator and lever it outside of the case.
0064.jpg
I also replaced the brass thumb nuts that were holding the CPU waterblock down with acetal/aluminum ones. This entire machine is now completely uniform in terms of color and texture. The palette has been reduced to Nickel, Black, and Grey.
0065.jpg
The last items to tackle colorwise is making a new video card support out of PVC, and getting the steel frame parts powder-coated satin black.
greyharte said:
okies ... let me re-phrase then ... where are you getting reliable leak-proof swivel fittings and it also makes me thing some quick-connects would be cool too ... that way one could hard mount a fill port and disconnect when one needs to drain ... got me thinking, since im getting ready to redo my loop soon ... any source info and pricing would be greatly appreciated
Mcmaster has 8 or 9 pages of "instant-tube fittings". The Nickel-plated brass ones I'm using are on page 171. If you need any other kind of fitting search for "pipe fittings" then select your preferred material.

Angel-of-Sorrow said:
I can't wait to see that gun made.
Where do you plan on mounting it, Slug?
It's a completely separate project that I've been tinkering with for a year now. However, when completed it also will be stylistically very similar to the gatling guns seen in Metal Slug.

Oh, well drats.
I thought it was a piece for the case. I was waiting to see a gatling gun attached to the case with a string of shells hanging from it or something. lol

sephiroth_749 said:
i hate to be a noob of water cooling but why is the mobo covered?
Actually has nothing to do with the watercooling. The cover simply helps me hide all of the wires running from the bottom area of the motherboard up to the power supply.

RonaldoR9 said:
1. So these "instant tube fittings " you don't need clamps or anything to secure them do they work like compression fittings or what?
2. You are using 1/2 inch tubing?
3. Im asking beacuse i always wanted to use compression fittings exept they dont make it for 1/2 inch tubing do u have a link to where you bought those.
1. Correct. They would very differently from other fittings.
2. No, I am using 3/8" ID semi-rigid polyethylene tubing that has a 1/2" OD. Instant tube fittings are measured by the outer diameter of the tubing they are made to seal because they seal from the outside of the tubing using an o-ring seat. Polyethylene tubing isn't very flexible so it has a rather wide bend radius. For the connections where I needed a tighter bend radius I made my own tube-to-stem adapters out of 1/2" OD plastic tube, and then clamped 7/16" ID 5/8" OD tubing to it. This provides flexibility, while still allowing easy coupling.
0066.jpg
Stock adapters can be purchased various places. Swiftech sells them as accessories to their older blocks and you can find them in the mcmaster catalog after a good deal of searching. (mcmaster part# 51055K69)
3. Compression fittings are made for 1/2" ID tubing, but not at affordable prices or with male pipe sizes that could be used with water-cooling equipment. Unfortunately nobody makes 1/2" ID Compression fittings that have a 1/4" NPT, G1/4 (BSPP), or 1/4 NPSM male threaded end.
I purchased the fittings used in this project from http://www.mcmaster.com/

Last edited:
Well, upon looking at the pictures I took a second time I realized that the tube between the Tee and the pump inlet might get in the way of the rear fan so I went to check and indeed it did. so I had to do some tinkering to correct that and I think the end result is even cleaner then before. I'm getting kind of obsessive now...
0067.jpg
This picture is kind of a funny accident in terms of the framing it looks like Mk.6 is looming over Metal Slug's shoulder.
0068.jpg
That's enough for today. had to get in some vegging before I sleep.
0069.jpg

It's looking awesome, and theres nothing bad about an obsession.
By the way, what is the motherboard cover made out of?

Left to do
+ Lathe acetal rods for case handles
+ Lathe fan controller knob
+ Ship case panels to Bonehead Performance for powder-coating
+ Order vinyl decals
+ Reassemble case
+ Make new I/O backplate
+ Make new Video card backplate
+ Make replacement Video card support bracket out of PVC
+ Re-pin some power-supply cables to shorten them
+ More obsessing
+ Get system up and running (haven't done anything except confirm that none of the parts are DOA)

Back