• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prometeia Mach 1 - Whats it worth?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hax0red

I have a local with one of these that needs a new suction line, it may be a GT version. What should I offer for the unit? From what I can tell it looks to be about 285 watts which should be "good enough" for me.

Needing a line and a recharge, it's probably not worth a whole lot really.
I'm not familiar enough with them to say, but I've seen fully functional units for 200-250 I think.

Thanks I offered $200 and he said $250 so I'm on fence. The suction line isn't damaged and the unit goes to -50 but the mount on the suction line isn't for 1155 so I will have to figure out a way to mount it hopefully without spending $200+ on a new suction line.

You can most likely convince it to mount to other platforms, though I haven't looked at that mounting HW to be sure. There just isn't that much difference between 1155 and other Intel bits. The backplate won't work, but you can probably use a different backplate. That's what TJuan and I do with his OCZ unit.

You can most likely convince it to mount to other platforms, though I haven't looked at that mounting HW to be sure. There just isn't that much difference between 1155 and other Intel bits. The backplate won't work, but you can probably use a different backplate. That's what TJuan and I do with his OCZ unit.

Thanks, I had planned to try and rig something up temporarily. I just read a thread that has me a little concerned located here:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...lYHQBw&usg=AFQjCNEKBP_kMfVDImBmcvPNrkrNscz7XQ

Which has me a little concerned. I know the older chips were known to create more heat and with the ivy bridge 22nm process the TDP is much lower so I think these things will help. From what I read the mach 1 (seller says it may be a GT version) had about 280-285 watt output and the owner tells me it gets to -50C with no load. Are my concerns legitimate?

Last edited:
Back in the day (2006-2008) they were worth $300-$400 new and were designed to about 75-100w of heat (more or less) from what I remember.

$250 for it is steep. Ontop of you'll have to fix the suction line plus get a mount for a particular socket and regas it.

I would'nt pay no more than 100 bux and that's alot for it. You're gonna sink alot of money into it to get it to run right for your new setup. For a nice investment you can probably buy one already modded up and functional.

Check out this site for further info on going phase cooling. Dunno if they're still in business tho.

Ahhh the good 'ol days. I remember those very well :D

Yeah I have since found out the suction line is ok, it just needs a modded bracket to fit newer sockets. As for finding a better unit, I have been looking for awhile and the cost for them is closer to $500-600 used average plus ship which prices me out of justifcation range. I'm just not looking for maximum overclocks, just another couple hundred mhz for epeen and I have really enjoyed my computers speeds. I went back to an AMD A8-4500m last night and I cannot believe people actually suffer with the wait times. Just installing video drivers took atleast 10-15 times longer(no joke). I'm spoiled and want more :)

Plus I love the fact that I'm running speeds people wont see for another 4-6 years without overclocking and when you consider I'm so far ahead, I honestly wouldn't "have" to upgrade for even longer then that.

Did some more reading and found the mach 1 can be refilled with R404 which helps it drop another 18-20C. I think that should put me over the top to achieve 5.5-5.7ghz with chip. I have had great luck with this i5 and I just can't wait to see what it does with extreme cooling. I'm also considering removing the lid and replacing the TIM since a lot of people have seen at least a 10-18C drop from that as well.

It's hard deciding between a water chiller for $250 that will achieve from what I read 5.4ghz on an i5-2500k without the condensation issues. I did manage to talk the seller down to $220 since I'll have to regas it. Anyone know what a replacement of the gas run me?

Long term I think an upgrade or additional evap will be in my future.

I'd say spend the $400 or so and buy a good SS.
Regasing is going to be whatever the person decides + shipping costs which would be at least $100 for both ways.

Having the unit vaccumed and recharged even at a local shop is probably going to run $100+ if you have to ship it someplace add another $100-200. Honestly on those terms it simply makes better sense to spend the same amount and get a higher end unit to begin with.

Your planning to put this on your main rig??? Thats going to kill your electric bill, hearing, and wallet(through maintenance cost), but if its what you want go for it. Personally I think your barking up the wrong tree for your particular goal. Best of luck!

Having the unit vaccumed and recharged even at a local shop is probably going to run $100+ if you have to ship it someplace add another $100-200. Honestly on those terms it simply makes better sense to spend the same amount and get a higher end unit to begin with.

Your planning to put this on your main rig??? Thats going to kill your electric bill, hearing, and wallet(through maintenance cost), but if its what you want go for it. Personally I think your barking up the wrong tree for your particular goal. Best of luck!

Good advice for sure. Yes my main rig. I run the machine about 7-12 hours a day so not 24-7. I also get a decent rate on electricity with FPL which costs me about .10 cents a kilowatt during peak thanks to nuclear plant :)

I'm not sure what would need to be maintained though? my fridge /ac is similar which honestly I never bother with anything but the AC filters. In my 29 years of life I don't ever remember calling for ac or fridge repair but I might have just been lucky (hard to believe with my luck).

As for sending it out, I'm not sure why I would need to, there are plenty of AC business's around and it should require pretty much standard equipment? Worst case I can bug a friend with little time these days now that he owns an AC business. He would prob be happy to re-use gas after vacuuming down which he says is usually a no no but does save it for the cheap a**'s.

What do you guy think about ss vs a aquarium chiller? I have found some 300-500 watt ones for $180-250 used locally. I know they'll need the crap cleaned well which is a non issue, use similar energy and also generate some (as much?) heat. I just figured they will get me 300-500mhz but no option for mods available in the future. Or is it possible to get a few hundred more mhz out of them with maybe anti-freeze or something tuned for cooler temps and maybe an evap/fan upgrade?

I'd say spend the $400 or so and buy a good SS.
Regasing is going to be whatever the person decides + shipping costs which would be at least $100 for both ways.

I keep seeing people say this but the best I have found was a cryo-z on ebay for something like $360 (ended up dropping to $280 shipped if I recall) that I was told was too weak and recently one guy in canada with a custom single stage but the price after shipping was closer to $630 or $650 I can't remember. I have been shopping all the forums for months and unless someone here wants to sell me their unit it's hard to wait 6 months for something, I'd lose interest by then as I'm still reasonably young. Considering the real pricing I have experienced even if I put a new or second evap, r404 gas ect I would come in at about the same price and gain the experience/joy of watching things progress, plus I would know the condition inside and out.

Thanks all I really appreciate your input.

Last edited:
OK took everyones advice and passed it up. I haven't heard back from friend to do r404 recharge and mounting the suction line head looks like a pain the the butt plus I found a couple recent attempts by others to use the mach ii gt which worked but shut down from being stressed after long term use.

I'm hard headed and wanted it to at least tinker with but I don't have the equipment and past replacing hot water heaters I just don't have the experience with this sort of work.

Back