• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Proper sell point for watercooling gear? (and cleaning)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thekamikazepr

So I decided to maybe stop watercooling sinc eI spend more time looking at loop and how to optimize than actually using the PC.

Just wondering whats the normal price point on selling parts as in :

70% of the retail value if in excellent conditions 50% if some bent fins etc.

Also how i go about draining/cleaning prior to sell (make sure theres no water in there) .

I might go back to a Corsair 240mm/280 Rad closed loop. then air cool the GPU

If you are obsessed with your cooling loop what makes you think you won't obsess over the closed loop? I looked at a Corsair re manufactured H100 for $50. To make it work to my satisfaction a rez needed to be added so I get 100% cooling because you don't know how much fluid is in them. Where does it stop?

I'm becoming lazy and im constantly swapping parts. so this is becoming a nightmare to be honest. Then again im a noise paranoid so maybe I should keep them ?

Get some qdcs for swapping parts recuced nightmare.
You will never be happy with closed loop after real liquid cooling.
For me its set and forget unless my block can't be made to work.with new hardware.
Using my lga775 waterblock on gpu.

whats your VRM temps on the universal block?

I might attempt that route again, since model specific block are going to make me go bankrupt lol.

Another option is not cooling the Gpu with water and using something like this it will fit nearly any Gpu and it's really quiet, even with the fans at 100% you can barely hear it.

But that breaks the objective of me being lazy :). Lol. . I do need qc if I decide to stay with water cooling.

But that breaks the objective of me being lazy
How so? I swap parts all the time when benching, without the Gpu being water cooled it makes it a lot easier. Do you mean when you swap out gpu's you'll have to switch the heatsink to the new cooler?

How so? I swap parts all the time when benching, without the Gpu being water cooled it makes it a lot easier. Do you mean when you swap out gpu's you'll have to switch the heatsink to the new cooler?

Basically I swap gpus often (hopefully i stop in my next purchase) so yes.

Is there a way to use a universal gpu block and have something (also universal). For cooling everything else?

Full top blocks really are just for show. A modified 1u cpu cooler or a swiftech universal gpu block is what you want with ram sinks.

I'm running the stock.cooling frame on my 5850 with apogee 1u for the core. Just had to modify the hold down for radeon holes. Or pay someone to.make one.

I really doubt ill have a problem running it on a 270x or 290 if I feel like spending that much.

Just an example.

Ill be installing qdcs to allow me to remove the gpu from the loop entirely for service or replacement, without having to drain bleed or refill. I could simply take the gpu out and connect the cpu back into the loop without issue.
Its really not a big deal just requires some planning and some problem solving.
For.me I didn't wanna drop $150 on a full top block for ONE type of card. So.problem solved lol.

Full top blocks really are just for show. A modified 1u cpu cooler or a swiftech universal gpu block is what you want with ram sinks.

I'm running the stock.cooling frame on my 5850 with apogee 1u for the core. Just had to modify the hold down for radeon holes. Or pay someone to.make one.

I really doubt ill have a problem running it on a 270x or 290 if I feel like spending that much.

Just an example.

Ill be installing qdcs to allow me to remove the gpu from the loop entirely for service or replacement, without having to drain bleed or refill. I could simply take the gpu out and connect the cpu back into the loop without issue.
Its really not a big deal just requires some planning and some problem solving.
For.me I didn't wanna drop $150 on a full top block for ONE type of card. So.problem solved lol.

Agree, To be honest when i had the 290 i had a universal GPU but somebody pointed me to cool something that was not the vrm's it was that cilinddrical part next to them.... Obviously it didnt cool them well enough so i ended up being a sad panda and selling it cheap to get full blocks.

even soo with out overclocking it didnt go pass 95 C which was similar to the stock coolers temps.

I was able to get some VRM heatsinks (from china) which are like 100mm x 15mm which are the perfect size (even know they are aluminum).

Which Qucik disconnect you guys recommend?
I remember seeing a guide (i think linked from here) but it was from 2011-2012.

I would most likely grab a pair prior to the card and the 360 rad since the 360 gets ALOT of water lol .

I will need to place 1 before and 1 after the card correct?

I'm planning to run three pairs of koolance qd4 highflow qdcs.

The vl3ns are highly rated for zero leak but couldn't find a pair in the size I want.

I don't have a 290 so not aure about vrm. I just left the metal plate from my 5850 on for that stuff. Dunno how different the 290 is.
Probably a similar cooler.

If you're cooling with OCing GPUs like the 290x for example, I would go with a full WB. If you watercool CPU + mid to lower GPUs than a universal is no issue. It really all depends on how hot the card will get. A GTX480 you'd want a full WB. Some of these GPU's get really hot + VRM with OCs. If theres some adequate air flow going through those heatsinks it is still possible but don't be surprised if you get lock ups at high OCs. If you're not a hardcore OC'er than yes a good simple universal block and good heatsinks + case air flow would be fine.

Koolance QDCs are amazing if you swap components often.

Thanks jack :) decided to sell off my things :) still need to figure out how to clean properly Already ran loop with distilled vinegar.

Back