• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PS Vita, MMO's & a slight review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kohta

First, let me start off by saying the screen on this thing is [Censored] amazing. It really is something you have to take home and actually sit down and watch Netflix or Hulu with to see just how clear it is, i'm so blown away by the amount of colors that screen can show and how vibrant and clear everything is, it can't be told, only experienced.

I purchased 2 PS Vita's yesterday, one for me and my wife and one game for her, there are no released games i want for the vita right now, i am looking forward to Gravity Rush, and *Drum Roll*

Phantasy Star Online 2: Yep, it's being made for the Vita, the graphics have been turned down slightly in comparison to the PC version but i believe this is more of a RAM limitation than the actual power of the GPU/CPU, that or they are still in a early testing phase, it is most likely due to the testing phase.

http://www.psxextreme.com/vita-news/129.html

_______

Next up, Final Fantasy XI Online, This one excites me, i don't and won't expect touch screen capability but my god would that make FFXI a whole new experience! Tap the screen and target the monster, double tap to target and engage, use your fingers to actually initiate your macro's.

ah well, it was designed for a PlayStation 2 in mind, and the PC port to the PC is a bit lacking without a Gamepad, but the Vita could bring new light to this game, let's forget graphics or how much easier it would be to use it on a hand held and instead think for a moment, you will be playing an MMO on a hand held with 3G/Wifi, anywhere you want too.

The typing communication can be easily fixed, tap your chat bar to open up the keyboard, while the physical buttons on the machine itself still controll battle you can type at the same time, essentially like a PC+Gamepad.

What about space?

It is true Final Fantasy XI with all of it's expansions and updates cuts it close to 30 GB's, but fear not, there are 5 classes of Vita Cards for developers, Class 1 is 1.8 GB's of space, Class 2 is 6GB (This is the most used at he moment), Class 3 is 18GBs, Class 4 is 32 GBs and lastly, class 5 is 50 GBs, just like a BluRay, there should be no need to install data to your memory chip except a 200 MB patch which exists on every machine as a standard executable for every machine it can currently be on, minus there actual install.

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/07/1...n-vita-port-for-playstation-vita-but-not-ps3/

Final Fantasy XIV?
While rumors have spawned i will honestly put my doubts in that, the vita has the specs to run FFXIV no doubt about that, but the all fairness, it won't be anytime soon, or at all, FFXIV to SE is most like looking like an expensive project that needs to just work, 4 or 5 years it might make a Vita appearance but financially they can't and shouldn't make any more promises for system releases.

Though really, FFXIV was so centered around the ease of use with a gamepad, it makes it ideal.

I want to note, Battery life is a little lower than i would like, Netflix: ~2 hours, A Game: ~4 Hours. The wifi streaming a video is killer, and the battery is built-in, i sure hope it doesn't go bad...

Heat: Heat heat heat, with power you can assume their is some heat, even from a mobile unit, and it will get pretty warm, others i have spoken to say they don't really experience this, but play a game like uncharted for 3 or 4 hours and feel the middle of the back touch panel, it will be warm, setting it on my lap it seemed to have gotten hotter and hotter to the point that it was more like the side of a cup with coffee in it, not burning hot but you could tell it was dispensing some heat. This isn't a complaint, because to be honest, i like knowing i have this kind of mobile power in my hands.

In conclusion, i have had my Vita for all but 2 days and played some Demo's, did some hardware research and i expected a PSP II, instead i got a Ipad/PS3 on crack, this thing is making me go "wow" and that's coming from somebody who spent more money in just my GPU's than a lot of complete PC systems. This thing for $300 is pretty amazing, There are tech demo's showing it running the Unreal Engine 3 with 4x AA and somehow processing tessellation in real time, 3G, Wifi, and it will only get better from here, what an amazing launch.

My biggest complaint is no HTML5 or Flash support, though it appears sony and Adobe are working together on that, it might be a few months down the road, but once it's in there, imagine the possibilities, i can think of a lot of flash based browser games that i enjoy from time to time, having it in my pocket would be a dream.

I really can't see the Vita doing too well. It is honestly just too specialized by today's standards where mobile gaming can be done on an iPhone/Android device, who is going to pay $50+ for a game when you can get 50 games for $1 that you can get huge play time out of?

Also, why'd you buy one for yourself if there aren't any games that interest you for it available?

I really can't see the Vita doing too well. It is honestly just too specialized by today's standards where mobile gaming can be done on an iPhone/Android device, who is going to pay $50+ for a game when you can get 50 games for $1 that you can get huge play time out of?

Also, why'd you buy one for yourself if there aren't any games that interest you for it available?

For the same reason people by brand new GPU's 4 or 5 months before a game releases. It is a sony platform, JRPG's are nearly my only interest, Gravity rush was mentioned in my OP, and lastly to become familiar with the systems software since i have never owned a touch screen device until now.

Until now i have never ever been a person to put my fingers on a screen of anything, this is a whole new concept for me. Dragging and dropping, flicking etc.

EDIT: Also, and Iphone or Samsung Galaxy S II or whatever can cost you $600 brand new, plus you have a $60 monthly fee for your service to download these $1 games, let me go further by saying that these $1 games are not going to be anywhere near the quality of a Final Fantasy game, to put more whipped cream on this **** sundae you have twice if not much more power behind the vita. That's only if you want to compare mobile gaming, otherwise, what? I was comparing this to really nothing else but i got the feeling you came at me with some sort of 'my mobile thing is better than yours; here's why" - The internet is a silly place. Allow me to correct you, right now, for mobile gaming, an Iphone/Andriod is a whole lot more expensive than a vita and a game, your idea of mobile gaming with brick breaker ($1) and mine with Gravity Rush ($30?) are completely different i believe.

Last edited:
Real question is... Can they be hacked? I still play the bloody s**t out of my PSP 2000 because it's hacked. I get people who ask me all the time, "They make Pokemon for PSP?!?!"

:sn:

Real question is... Can they be hacked? I still play the bloody s**t out of my PSP 2000 because it's hacked. I get people who ask me all the time, "They make Pokemon for PSP?!?!"

:sn:

From what i know, nothing that is worth the effort right now. The battery is embedded into this one, how that makes a difference i'm not real sure, in a few months time i wouldn't be surprised if we saw some surfacing. Personally iv'e never been one to do it, not even to my old PSP but i wonder how they will get the Quad-GPU to work. There are smart people out there though.

Back