• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PS3 Disc Drive Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iaacp

Does the BD drive spin if you had you XMB highlighted on the BD, to display the background picture/video and music?

I ask this because somebody left my PS3 on for an extended amount of, and now it won't read discs. I didn't think the drive would spin at all, unless possibly you have a game highlighted, so now I'm worried that it fried the optical drive. I'm going to keep trying things and cooling it down in the meantime. If you have any suggestions or comments, please share.

You may want to completely unplug it and let it sit overnight. It may have just overheated or something.

If that doesn't work, you may have to contact Sony and get started on a warranty replacement.

Would it really take overnight to completely cool? I let it sit for a good half hour or so, in the AC.

Would it really take overnight to completely cool? I let it sit for a good half hour or so, in the AC.

I'd say overnight. Half an hour... even in the AC... is NOTHING.

Something may have overheated to the melting point (unlikely... but hey) and if THAT's the case it will just settle back into shape once it's cooled and by morning it should work. If not...

I've left my PS3 on for ridiculously long amounts of time (though usually not on the disc image because that makes noise and spins the disc as you noticed) and have yet to have any trouble.

Lots of people here fold on their PS3s and basically never turn them off.

You have to be careful though: Last time I folded on my 40gig the emergency fan kicked on (guess it was hot that day) and I haven't folded with it since. I've gamed for MONTHS without that fan coming on though. The last (which was also the first) time it was on was just because my dumb cousin put a space heater right next to the damned thing.

So I think heat capacity differs widely from console to console. Pay *attention* to how your console behaves, and plan accordingly.

My son left our PS3 on and paused during a game when we left for a 2 week vacation and it was still chugging away just fine, it does go into a standby mode if it sits idle long enough.

Back