• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSP Wireless problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Golden Monkey

AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! :bang head

OK, so I got my PSP recently and I played through GOW: COO (great game). Now I finally got around to hooking up the internet and I can't get it to connect. I just scanned the open wireless networks, found mine, and entered my WPA key. It says "A connection to the access point could not be established. Check the security settings for the network and try again."

Am I missing something here? Do I need to change a setting in my router? I even tried entering everything manually (IP, Subnet Mask, Router IP, and DNS). No go.

Any suggestions?

AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! :bang head

OK, so I got my PSP recently and I played through GOW: COO (great game). Now I finally got around to hooking up the internet and I can't get it to connect. I just scanned the open wireless networks, found mine, and entered my WPA key. It says "A connection to the access point could not be established. Check the security settings for the network and try again."

Am I missing something here? Do I need to change a setting in my router? I even tried entering everything manually (IP, Subnet Mask, Router IP, and DNS). No go.

Any suggestions?

Simple: You're doing something wrong.

That's the only explanation. Set it to auto detect everything and enter the correct WEP key. If that doesn't work... change the key on your router and try again. I've been doing this for three years now and it's worked just fine.

Different networks, different routers, it even worked for me in a Vegas hotel...

Simple: You're doing something wrong.

That's the only explanation. Set it to auto detect everything and enter the correct WEP key. If that doesn't work... change the key on your router and try again. I've been doing this for three years now and it's worked just fine.

Different networks, different routers, it even worked for me in a Vegas hotel...

I've already done both of those things. No luck. I'm using WPA not Wep but that shouldn't make a difference. I'm not new to networking. There must be a setting I have to change on the router but I don't know what it would be. It's weird because I have two laptops in the house and I can scan for a wireless AP and enter the key and I'm all set. That doesn't work with the PSP.

I had to add the PSP's mac address to my routers address filter.

I don't have mac filtering enabled. Maybe I should try that.

I have a D-link DIR-655 router.

I've already done both of those things. No luck. I'm using WPA not Wep but that shouldn't make a difference. I'm not new to networking. There must be a setting I have to change on the router but I don't know what it would be. It's weird because I have two laptops in the house and I can scan for a wireless AP and enter the key and I'm all set. That doesn't work with the PSP.

I don't have mac filtering enabled. Maybe I should try that.

I have a D-link DIR-655 router.

Well here's something you haven't tried: SWITCH TO WEP.

Just try it and see if it works.

My guess is that will fix it, it did for me. BUT, that is not an acceptable answer. I refuse to drop my security to have a device connect, and I'm sure he will be the same ;)

My guess is that will fix it, it did for me. BUT, that is not an acceptable answer. I refuse to drop my security to have a device connect, and I'm sure he will be the same ;)

Suuuuuuure. Cuz EVERYBODY on the mean streets of South Dakota is trying to break into a sixteen year old kid's computer right? :p

It's a hell of a lot easier/safer/less stupid to monitor who's connected to your router than it is to jack up to 256-bit encryption when you don't even have anything important enough to encrypt.

I considered that one day: Well... if someone was connected to my router I would see them RIGHT HERE under my list of connected devices. 2. Nobody in this neighborhood is SMART ENOUGH to break through WEP. (Even with the neighborhood changing and smart people moving in: Today's smart is yesterday's STUPID.)

Just try it and see if it works.

I'll give it a shot....

I tend to agree especially when my PS3, Wii, 2 laptops, and a desktop PC can connect via wireless to my router with no problems at all. I used to have the PS3 and Wii connected wireless but now they are wired. I tried them again through wireless and they still work. I had a friend bring over his PSP this morning and his also was a no go. So everything points back to my router having a problem with the PSP.

Suuuuuuure. Cuz EVERYBODY on the mean streets of South Dakota is trying to break into a sixteen year old kid's computer right? :p

It's a hell of a lot easier/safer/less stupid to monitor who's connected to your router than it is to jack up to 256-bit encryption when you don't even have anything important enough to encrypt.

I considered that one day: Well... if someone was connected to my router I would see them RIGHT HERE under my list of connected devices. 2. Nobody in this neighborhood is SMART ENOUGH to break through WEP. (Even with the neighborhood changing and smart people moving in: Today's smart is yesterday's STUPID.)

I'm not 16 (32), and I live in Michigan where some of the streets are indeed mean (not in my area though), but I see your point. It's not like there is a man in a black car outside my house trying to break in to my network.

:rolleyes:

I'll try WEP and let you know if it works. Thanks for the tips.

Problem solved!

I, Captain Dumass, didn't stop to think about what protocol the PSP runs on. My router was broadcasting only in 802.11g and 802.11n. Once I included 802.11b everything worked fine.

DOH! :bang head :bang head :bang head :screwy:

It's always the little things....

Thanks for the suggestions though guys. This concludes this thread. :beer:

I'm not 16 (32), and I live in Michigan where some of the streets are indeed mean (not in my area though), but I see your point. It's not like there is a man in a black car outside my house trying to break in to my network.

:rolleyes:

I'll try WEP and let you know if it works. Thanks for the tips.

I wasn't talking about you. I was poking fun at Thideras... again. :p

Back