• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU cable management.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

polacos

Hi guys, I got myself a OCZ ZT750, full modular.

Now I would like to take the crappy sleeve and yellow and black cables, and make them single white sleeve per cable (i think it is called heatshrink),
something like this (last pic)
But now, How do I do it?
What is the difference between Sleeving and Heatshrink?
I would like to do cables from PSU to CPU, ATX, PCI-E, SATA.
Especially I would like to add about 20 cm to CPU cable as it is a bit short for my mobo. At this moment my cable runs between GPU and back plate. I would like to take it to behind

attachment.php

Now, I am in Australia, and here PCCASEGEAR also has BitFenix sleeved cables. But will they fit my PSU?
Anyone here got BitFenix? If so, could you post pictures of the PSU side of the cables?

As OCZ ZT is not a enthusiast PSU, I don't think they make cables already single sleeved for my psu. But I would prefer to do it myself.
From OCZ, I know I need 27m of sleeving just for CPU, MOBO and PCI-E.
So let's say 30m. For Peripherials/SATA power cables I need 20m, for fans 5m (just if)
So total is 55m, but of 1:8 or 1:4 sleeve? And what size heatshrink?

If I'm not terribly mistaken, and I'm pretty sure someone will correct me if I am, as long as you stay within the same Manufacturer all the modular cables are likely to be interchangeable.

Actually looking at those bitfenix cables, it looks like they're all extensions.. so, you run all of your normal cabling out of site, then use the extension to go from the cable to the socket

Last edited:
Or try OCZ's website. Chances are, they'll have the proper cables made to go from PSU to component - I just checked Corsair, and they have the ones for mine.

If I'm not terribly mistaken, and I'm pretty sure someone will correct me if I am, as long as you stay within the same Manufacturer all the modular cables are likely to be interchangeable...

Not necessarily. It would depend on the manufacturer. Not all Corsair cables are intechangeable between PSUs. If swapping a cable from one PSU with one on another PSU, be sure to both trace the wiring to make sure it is identical and, to be safe, also check the voltages at the end of the cable.

OCZ doens't sell Single Sleeved cables at all, any psu.
Thats why I would just like to do it.
I have 8pin CPU and 2 x 6+2 PCIE extra, so I would like to try to single sleeve them, just to have an experience how to do it.
So back to post #6

@ polacos maybe this will give you some ideas how to do this and there are other video's like this on YouTube to follow as well! AJ.

Personally, i went on ebay, found 6meters of sleeving for next to nothing, and you can also get the shrink material on ebay, i have some so i didnt look for it, but its also an option.

I spent 6,30 USD on sleeving materials. But then again, i want to DIY it, not everyone does.

+1 Pierre3400, also I want to have that experience. First I will buy 6 metres just for one PCI-E cable, make it, if I like it, and I don't break it, do the others.
Now for Single sleeve use 1:8 sleeve and heatsrink? or is it too small?
-------------------
Also what is the name I can search for the PCI/MOBO/CPU tool that takes the cables out?

Last edited:
One tip if you use the directions linked above: instead of trying to "singe" the end of the sleeve after cutting it, cut the sleeve with a hot knife. It's faster to do and you will get a cleaner cut with no fraying. I use an old, dull telco knife I've had knocking about for years (short, thick blade) heated up using one of the gas burners on my stove (faster and easier than digging out a torch). Heat up the knife only enough to let it easily cut through the sleeve. That will fuse the strands enough to prevent fraying without melting the sleeve closed.

thanks for the advise.
I still would need the size of the sleeve for single sleeving cables. 1/8 of sleeves and 1/4 of heatsrink or which ones?

Back