• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU dedicated for 8800 GTS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brolloks

Benching Senior on Siesta, Premium Member #8
I plan to buy a 8800 GTs (640 MB version), I also have a Ultra 550 W PSU and think it would be too light as I have 3 HDD, 2 optical drives, 2 HDD coolers and lots of fans and lights etc in my case.

I have a nice setup with UV cables, lights with the modular PSU and do not want to change the PSU.....would the Thermaltake Purepower Power Express 250 W dedicated Gpu PSU be powerfull and stable enough to power the 8800 GTS?

Why don't you just buy a more powerful power supply and sell the ultra 550.
Wait on second thought, what is the Ultra rated for amp wise on the 12v rails?

fans, lights, HDD's and optical drive take almost no power. I wouldn't worry about it, but i am also curios about the 12v amp rating. (thats the bit that counts)

You could buy those VGA PSU's that take up 1 5.25 slot and only power the video card!

Assasi, BTW your 700w OCZ also only has 18 Amps on the 12 rails, so excuse my ignorance how come the Ultra is so weak in your opinion, the Ultra has 17 A AND 18 A on 2 x 12V rails ?????

I think you'll be fine, just make sure that the 8800 has it's own rail (or just a few small things on it), the second rail should be enough to power everything else. 17*12=204W, well more than the two PCI-E connectors will need.
Dan

Well, for those interested I got my 8800 GTS Superclocked and the 250 W GPU dedicated PSU and my system is near perferct in my books, everything is working like a dream.:beer:

Back