• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU died, why?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wolfdawg

Registered
:shrug:
Just running an empty tab of googlechrome and a small network program, when I move up in my chair and slightly bump my computer while hitting the reset button, PSU DIED.

all my wuts :confused:

I singled it out to be the Diablotek PSU and did the paper clip test, the fans spoil up and it dies.
No physical damage to the PSU or any other parts of my computer.
I don't have the tools for extensive testing or want to break the warranty.

So.....what happened to it?

Sometimes they just up and die with no reason, possibly an under spec component made it in, or a just a lemon, you could see if it is still under warranty and have it RMAed.

Sometimes they just up and die with no reason, possibly an under spec component made it in, or a just a lemon, you could see if it is still under warranty and have it RMAed.

I mentioned its under warranty, I have already sent in a RMa request last night.

I mean I guess you're right about it randomly dying. Unless somebody has had a similar situation.

If they don't RMa/replace, Ill never buy another Diablotek product.
I set up a PSU for 53$, so I can get that in 2-3 weeks.

**** my **** ****** :mad:

i had one of the power bits of one of those psu's incinerate leaving white dust all over the inside of my case lol the power switch melted too i thought i was smelling something for a few days :shrug: lol that was before i came here and i was saved :) the next thing i did will never be discussed here i would be hung from the galley.

I would not use the unit they send back to you, if they send one.
You got mighty lucky that the current one last a while. The next may fry everything on the first startup.

He who uses junk PSUs fries hardware.

Diablotek PSUs are not good, at least some aren't.
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/12/17/diablotek_phd650_650w_power_supply_review/9 for example.

Something inside it was likely on its last legs and couldn't take another cycle.
If you're lucky it didn't fry everything attached to it.

Time for a new, better quality, PSU!

Oh Jesus, that's horrible, I have the PHD650 (650watt).
Why did I ever buy this.
It did work perfectly until now though. 1 year 7 months
I don't even want to RMa this.

I'm now going to check this PSU out, when I have time. (the one I planned on buying if RMa failure)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152028

@wagex at least the PSU was cheap, right? :rofl:

@The 3 7:27pm posts(I need to set my time zone), I should start refreshing before posting :p

Stay away from Raidmax, too.
I had that PSU, it died. Thankfully without killing things.

Read this: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=589708
There are plenty of good PSUs that aren't on that list, but there aren't any bad PSUs on it.

Check overclockers.com, funkykit.com, hardwaresecrets.com, techpowerup.com, hardocp.com and jonnyguru.com for real PSU reviews.
There are a couple other sites that deliver decently functional reviews, but the above list are the best. They all have a slightly different take on things, but if they say a PSU is good, it's good. No special order to that list, as a sidenote.

+1. Just go grab a Corsair CX500.

I will consider it, over what I find in the recommended thread

Lesson learned today, no matter the processing power of your PC/worth of it, never buy a cheap PSU - Wolfdawg

@Bobnova
Thanks for the thread, I had forgotten about it. will buy one from there, or the Corsair CX500.

Side questions:
Was that small bump really too much for a PSU, even a good one?
Possibility of anything other than the PSU dead? def not going to boot up with all hardware in with a new PSU at first.

Even a good one could have a bad solder point and a little bump can push things over the edge. Its less likely with a better unit, but still.

Side questions:
Was that small bump really too much for a PSU, even a good one?
Possibility of anything other than the PSU dead? def not going to boot up with all hardware in with a new PSU at first.

dubious psu's = dubious soldering :)

edit.... bobnova.... you got me saying dubious now...

Back