• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU for new build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mantrousse

You can read my thread about the new build I'm making here.

If you want the important cliff notes, here is the rig:

RAM: Corsair Memory XMS3 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz CAS 9 Dual Channel
CPU: Intel CPU i5 4670K Socket 1150 Quad Core Haswell
MB: Asus Z87-A Intel Z87 Socket 1150
GFX CARD: XFX Black Edition Radeon HD 7970
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB
HDD: Samsung SpinPoint F1 500GB (old part)
Optical: LiteOn 20x DVD±RW (old part)
PSU: Corsair HX520 (old part)

Everything has now arrived, and is fine... except that the 7970 requires 2 8-pin power connectors, and my HX520 doesn't have 1, let alone 2. I know you can get converters, but the GFX card's manual specifically says it needs a direct 8-pin connection.

Will this PSU suffice? Corsair CXM Builder series 600W.

Going by the specs it says it has 2 x 8-pin (well, 2 x 6+2-pin, but I'm assuming that is the same... obviously, lol).

Overall, will this PSU fit into my build? I.e. Will it fit:

1. The MB/CPU fan.
2. Enough Sata power ports for Optical Drive, SSD, and HDD.
3. The graphics cards (2x8-pin).

Am I missing anything? I'm sure ya'll get what I mean: I think I need a new PSU; given you my specs; will the PSU I've found fit?

Let me know! Really appreciate help!

It has sufficient power for your system. Looking at your specs, I'm thinking you could probably invest a few more bucks and get a higher-end PSU, but the CX600 will get the job done. ;)

Cx600 is plenty. Quality isn't an issue there either. Its not a tier one, but its fine.

Back