• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Psu Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gaarashatan

Registered
i dont know much about psu or find good places to learn about them.

it would be nice if someone could teach me or direct me down the right path to learning more about psu. its the only part on a pc that i have little knowledge about =/

im also wondering what psu i should get for this build
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=16988594

im looking for a cheap reliable psu that has everything i want and stuff. but i hope next time i wouldnt need to ask ^^ thx for the help

You hav ecome to the right place, you just have to look. In my signature is a link to quality PSUs. In this section are stickied threads that can give you this information.

As far as the PSU you chose. Raidmax are usually crappy PSUs. Some are good... most are not.

You cannot go wrong with a Corsair PSU however. For the system in your wish list, a CX430 will be plenty.

i seen a corsair for about 80. that seemed like what i wanted but it got very bad reviews saying it was making a whiny noise and died in 6 months etc. this one has got really good reviews im just curious as to if it will meet my needs. imo corsair is the best but their to expensive for me and the lower cost ones are getting bad reviews =/

I just said that Raidmax is likely a piece of crap in my first post. Users reviews, when it comes to PSUs, mean nothing. A corsair CX430 is too expensive?

You really dont want to cheap out on your power supply.. here is one good reason: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=728652

+1

Yes it is a very bad idea to go too cheap on a power supply. I have worked on too many systems in the past where a cheap PSU was to blame for an entire system having to be replaced, as it's the one component in your system with the capability of reducing it to nothing.

Well, then pony up for a quality PSU. You have a list in my signature.. pick one that is on that list that you can afford. That said, you wont find much cheaper than the CX430 really... For pete's sake its $50...

And... And... And...

PSU is likely the piece you'll keep for the longest time. maybe 10 years. Worth the investment!

are you sure 430 is enough to run my system? and enough molexs or rails or w/e

Yes. Easily. Your CPU is 100W MAX. That GPU you selected (which I would get a 7750 instead..) is 66W MAX. The rest of the PC wont break 50-75W. So, yes... even if you overclock.

Why such a low end GPU? I take it you arent gaming? If you are not gaming, use the onboard gpu on your CPU.

That is also a low end board, are you planning on overclocking that CPU? If not, no need for the CPU cooler, note.

You may want to read that chart again... Total SYSTEM power consumption. That is the entire PC Gaar. ;)

Using This and the items listed in your link, the recommended PSU wattage was 279Watts, this was with out any hard drives, but they won't add much to that. So yes the 430 would be more than enough.

Back