• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU Peril

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DRaZZ

Hi guys,

First off i need to give you the system info, having finally decided on the components i will be using so here they are...

Core 2Duo E8400 - (Will overclock to 3.3ghz or there about initially)
Asus maximus 2 formula
4Gb OCZ Reaper 1066mhz DDR2
Powercolor HD4890 PCS Battleforge Edition 1024mb DDR5
250Gb western digital sata drive
Liteon dvd/rw

Could you guys suggest a VERY cheap PSU. Im looking for the cheapest possible psu i can get, obviously i dont want a £10 piece of junk that will end up killing my system I would however like to keep it below £35 if at all possible.
I will in the near future be upgrading to Xfire and then will spend alot on a 800W+ quality psu but for now i need a dirt cheap psu to get my system up and running. I mention overclocking the cpu a little initially but i dont mind running it stock for a few months until i upgrade the psu.

Any suggestions gratefully recieved

Thanks.

I have just seen this - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-029-OC&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat=

Would 400W be ok running that system? Im a little clueless when it comes to selecting a psu on wattage and amperage!

Drazz,

What you want to do is not very logical: Paying 145 pounds for a video card then wanting to find a suitable power supply for 35 pounds or less, then upgrade to SLI and then "will spend alot on a 800W+ quality psu".........

That 4890 needs 2 - 6 pin connectors, that OCZ doesn't have it and you won't find that with a 400 watt power supply that I know of.

Quite frankly I wouldn't know what to recommend under those conditions. Do you really want and need SLI later? Do you really need a 4890? You're putting the cart before the horse. You need to seriously re-assess your needs and budget and not be concerned with getting a "cutting edge" 4890 video card with a 400 watt power supply. It's not gonna happen.

i know it makes little sence, the problem i have is the budget i have, would have been fine to add a 750tx psu and couple of hard drives ect......Then my monitor blew, im now using an old 15" piece of junk. I have had to re-asses the build to allow £207 for a 24" monitor. This is why i need to find a low cost psu to run the system for 3-4 months. After that i should be in a position to get the better parts needed.

The system parts i wont compramise on those at all, as i dont want to have to upgrade them again. If i can find a psu cheap enough it would solve my problem!

My Corsair TX650w is reliable and powerful enough to run my system easily (happens to be a v.similar system to what you're building).

It cost around £65-70. Can you find another £35 in the budget or borrow it? It's worth it as it'll handle your graphics upgrade (probably not crossfire though). I don't know what a 400w psu will do for your system, it probably won't have anywhere enough connections either.

i know it makes little sence, the problem i have is the budget i have, would have been fine to add a 750tx psu and couple of hard drives ect......Then my monitor blew, im now using an old 15" piece of junk. I have had to re-asses the build to allow £207 for a 24" monitor. This is why i need to find a low cost psu to run the system for 3-4 months. After that i should be in a position to get the better parts needed.

The system parts i wont compramise on those at all, as i dont want to have to upgrade them again. If i can find a psu cheap enough it would solve my problem!

You'll have to look for a power supply with 2-6 pin connectors to start for that 4890. It won't be 400 watts and it won't be 35 pounds or less.

i could probablt up it to £45/50. The monitor packing up has really set me back, the budget is pretty set as i got made redundant in feb and have decided to go back to college to retrain so the budget has to stay where it is for now sadly.
Im not set on a 400W psu, i just saw that one and wondered if it would do the job, i dont care if its an 800w aslong as i can find one cheap and capable of running the system as it is.

I guess this will have to do ---> http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-037-OC&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat=

Its a bit more than i wanted to pay but it has the right connectors i believe.

well the entire system is guna be around £750 ish, Im using my old antec case to save on costs atm, when its finished there will be another 4890, obv a better psu and put into an antec 902.

As it stands though even prior to overclocking i should be able to play todays games @ 1920x1200 with fairly high settings and a decent frame rate. Which is the basis of the new system :)

That 500w ocz looks like it should be fine. Antec and Cooler Master makes good cheap psus too, maybe you can find something a little cheaper from them. For your current system I wouldn't go less than 500w.

Thanks for the info guys, i've decided on the 500W OCZ. It will do me for a few months. Hopefully in 2 weeks time ill have all these parts and be ready to build it up. Later down the line when i get the rest of the system sorted such as case and another 4890 ill post some pics and a 3dmark score or 2 :)

lol ^

I just bought an enermax 425 watt for £39 it has 2 6(+2) pin PCI-E plugs and 33 amps max, pretty good for the price, would have suited you nicely,

Hope your OCZ does the job and the chances are it will prob stay with you longer than you think

Back