• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU Recommendation - Is 600W Enough?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheRichboy247

Registered
Hi all,

I am planning on building a PC for gaming and I want to know if I'm picking up the right PSU. I plan on getting a Corsair GS600 PSU and I feel as though as it's not enough. I will be upgrading my build every few years but I want to make sure that it can handle all of my components and moderate overclocking.

I feel as though as I should blow extra money on a better PSU (Already $200 over budget) because I don't want faults in the future. I know I can upgrade my PSU later on, but it will be a pain in the a**. Oh well.

My build:

Processor: Intel i5 3570K (Plan to overclock to 4.4 - 4.6 GHz)
Cooling: Hyper 212 EVO with 2 Corsair High Performance 120mm Fans
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H
Graphics: Sapphire HD 7850 OC 2GB GDDR5 (Planning to overclock to the equivalent of the HD 7870)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
HDD: WD Caviar Black 500GB (Planning to get SSD within a month)
PSU : (For Now) Corsair GS600 600W Non-Modular PSU
Case: (Would like a good recommendation as well) Antec Three Hundred

All suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Corsair GS line is a bit overrated as it's basically the same as the CX line with a fan.

OCed 3570K is probably around 100W, and the stock 7870 TDP (so about the same if you OC the 7850 that far) is 175W. Everything else will draw about 40W, so you're looking at like 315W draw.

Cool. 600W should last me a while then. I can upgrade if my needs change. Will the CX range from Corsair be cheaper than the GS? I can't find the CX series at the store I'm buying all my components from.

EDIT: Never mind, the CX600 is just a dollar cheaper than the GS600. I like the LED's :)

Are you ever planning on going dual video cards? If not, the CX500 should be fine. And if you typically stick to the midrange of the market instead of the high end (78xx/66x series is mid, 670/680/79xx is high end), the CX430 is probably fine as well.

Are you ever planning on going dual video cards? If not, the CX500 should be fine. And if you typically stick to the midrange of the market instead of the high end (78xx/66x series is mid, 670/680/79xx is high end), the CX430 is probably fine as well.

I might be considering crossfire/SLI. I might upgrade to a 7970 , 680 or 690 cause those cards are quite beastly. I have heard that crossfire/SLI doesn't really increase performance on games so I might just stick to one GPU. High end eventually.

500W should be good for a single high end card. Dual mid-range cards, you'd want 600-650, dual high end cards probably around 700-750.

500W should be good for a single high end card. Dual mid-range cards, you'd want 600-650, dual high end cards probably around 700-750.

Hmm, ok. I think the 600W one will be good for me. the CX500 is just about $6 cheaper and I think it would be a no-brainer to get the GS600. It should last me until my build improves.

Back