• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pulled the trigger on two i7 systems!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AMD_OCER

I am building two Core-i7 systems. Trying to get in on the bigadv bonus points!

System spec's

Cpu's Core i7 920
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115202

Ram 6gb
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231223

Cooler's Vigor Monsoon's
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835702007

MB's ASRock x58 extreme
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157163

Misc other parts 650w psu, cheap nvidia 8400 video cards.... bla bla, boring stuff...

Okay, are those good parts?

The setup plan is to run Win7 x64, VMWare Player 3.0.0, Ubuntu server 9.10 and shoot for 3.6 or higher cpu clocks.

I see that I have to get a passphrase and dl the proper client to get those big wu's. Basically follow this guide: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=627195

Is there anything else I am missing?

Does it help to O/C the ram?

Oh and BTW, I just added back to my collection a BSEL modded x3210 running smp putting out about 4500 ppd.

And new to the collection, an AMD Phenom II X4 925 putting out 4800 ppd

And a GTX260 7000-8500 ppd depending on the WU.

Going to see how High I can go. :attn: :comp:

Oh and to PeddlerOfFlesh who was 7 days from passing me, Eat MY Dust!!!!! :burn:

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    35.5 KB · Views: 115
I didn't have good luck with my ASRock X58 extreme. It burned up a chip in just 1 day of folding after being set to 3.6GHz (lowest possible O/C listed in the BIOS) BIOS setting.

Of course, that may have just been a fluke - every mobo maker has them.

Good luck with your new systems - you'll love what they can do, using that *wonderful* guide to the extra large WU's. :clap: :p :p

Send a PM to ihrsetradr about the BIOS settings, after your system's are up. He has the same mobo, and also folds heavily with them. You should be able to closely echo his settings on yours.

Last edited:
I have 2 ASRock X58 extreme setups, one had gone thru RMA. I just received a GA-EX58-UD3R from Newegg today, haven't gotten the 920 yet that I bought. I'm hoping that the GA-EX58-UD3R will be more stable/less buggy.

Edit: I just saw Adak's edit, I followed the i7-920 Overclocking Guide that ChasR mentioned a while back. The article is on the ASUS P6T Deluxe but most of the BIOS settings would apply to just about any socket 1366 board in the same category. If you're coming from socket 775 overclocking you'll see that the i7 boards are a lot different; just takes some mental 'shifting of gears". Good luck and have fun! :cool:

Last edited:
Oh I am so jealous, I cant even afford to build one rig let alone two :p I cant wait to see your results :D You guys just keep on trying to tempt me to build another PC :santa:

That must have been hard considering your AMD heritage... :).

My first i7 will happen after Christmas. WTF!

Hopefully the ASRock X58 Extreme that I saw on Newegg for 119 will still be there.

I am 2 days from being passed by Duner and its not a feeling I like having!!!

I didn't have good luck with my ASRock X58 extreme. It burned up a chip in just 1 day of folding after being set to 3.6GHz (lowest possible O/C listed in the BIOS) BIOS setting.

Of course, that may have just been a fluke - every mobo maker has them.

Good luck with your new systems - you'll love what they can do, using that *wonderful* guide to the extra large WU's. :clap: :p :p

Send a PM to ihrsetradr about the BIOS settings, after your system's are up. He has the same mobo, and also folds heavily with them. You should be able to closely echo his settings on yours.

Yes, I hope I fare well with these boards, they are a "Tom’s Hardware 2009 Recommended Buy" :shrug:

Most people I have seen can hit 3.6GHz with them.

I will be making use of that *wonderful* guide! :cool:

I have 2 ASRock X58 extreme setups, one had gone thru RMA. I just received a GA-EX58-UD3R from Newegg today, haven't gotten the 920 yet that I bought. I'm hoping that the GA-EX58-UD3R will be more stable/less buggy.

Edit: I just saw Adak's edit, I followed the i7-920 Overclocking Guide that ChasR mentioned a while back. The article is on the ASUS P6T Deluxe but most of the BIOS settings would apply to just about any socket 1366 board in the same category. If you're coming from socket 775 overclocking you'll see that the i7 boards are a lot different; just takes some mental 'shifting of gears". Good luck and have fun! :cool:

Thanks for the info, I will definitely give that O/C guide a shot!

Oh I am so jealous, I cant even afford to build one rig let alone two :p I cant wait to see your results :D You guys just keep on trying to tempt me to build another PC :santa:

Just go for it! I had to keep the se two builds under 2k, and that is with some nice 24" monitors. Without the monitors I could have splurged on a better Mobo.

That must have been hard considering your AMD heritage... :).

My first i7 will happen after Christmas. WTF!

Hopefully the ASRock X58 Extreme that I saw on Newegg for 119 will still be there.

I am 2 days from being passed by Duner and its not a feeling I like having!!!

It wasn't too hard to do, I am not so much of a loyalist to a brand, just to folding with what gives the most ppd per $.

I want to build another i7, but its a hard sell to my better-half.

I hear you on that! I was a good boy this year I guess.... ;)

That's gotta be a refurb(probably the one I RMA'd). ;) I'd be real wary of refurb or "open box" motherboards; they're mostly someone else's nightmare, and sometimes you don't get all the items such as the I/O shield, cables etc.

The price is attractive for sure, but...

:sly:

Back