• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I7-3770k @ 4.0Ghz - What Next?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bzowk

Hey Guys -

A while back, I overclocked my I7-3770k to 4.0Ghz by simply changing the "Processor Core Ratio" (multiplier?) within Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility. Going to anything above 4.0 was unstable. The thing is, I think the 3770k had "turbo mode" which would take the speed up almost up to 4.0Ghz when needed anyways so guess it's not really that big of a deal.

I've read many posts about how to OC my 3770k further, but still can't tell if the best method is to change voltage, use software, or BIOS edits so thought I'd post. I know every chip is different, but am trying to get a consensus for what overall method may be best to safely overclock, but to have the result be stable. To note, I do have a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO installed on it which I control using GRIDControl instead of CAM and I recently upgraded by adding an additional 120mm fan in a push/pull setup which actually pushes air to a 140mm fan blowing outside of the case. I also put all fans on a Nzxt GRID+V2 controller so I can dynamically adjust them with software. The motherboard I have is a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H.

Below is a list of options I'm considering to do this. I've read that with my hardware and 1.24V I should be able to run 4.5Ghz safely, but that's variable. Any suggestions on what you think I should use would be extremely helpful:
  • Intel Extreme Tuning Utility: Continue to use XTU but make "advanced" adjustments including bus & voltage
  • BIOS Changes: Gigabyte offers "Easy Tune 6" which is software that can do this from Windows, but it's last update was on 2012/11/22 - long before Windows 10 x64. I could try it, but is there other software out there (made by Gigabyte or 3rd party) which would be preferred over Easy Tune 6 and support my GA-Z77X-UD5H
  • Something else...
I'd obviously be performing tests and monitoring temps during the procedure. Also, below is what advanced options XTU is showing as defaults for my 3770k currently.
oc.jpg

What do you think? Thanks!

The BIOS. Software works OK, but unless you load the software every boot (automatic or not) it won't take.

People here generally only use software when at the brink of stability/the end of the line.

Use the BIOS. :)

Back