• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pump & Rad Advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Izzie

Registered
Hi guys I have read the beginners guides which were really helpful so thanks for all the info from those... but I still need some advice on a Rad and Pump Combination.

This is my 1st water build so I am still wet behind the ears. (yes yes I know bad joke)

If I was to buy a Raystorm CPU Block (AMD) and used Koolance PMP450-S Pump top Including 12V Laing D5 Vario would a Phobya Xtreme NOVA 1080 Radiator be ok with that pump as I am a bit worried about the pressure. I know this is way overkill for just a CPU block but I want to be able to add to it later on as and when & be able to use it later when I get new hardware.. sort of trying to future proof myself.

I do also have a 120 triple rad but I am not sure what make it is I think it is a Koolance & I also have a 100ml Res with what I think is a EK multi option base.

My current hardware is a Phenom II X6 1090T overclocked to 4Ghz which I would like to try and push a little more if I can, it is currently being cooled by a Corsair H80, 16GB Corsair Dominator DDR3, Asus Crosshair IV Formula, HIS HD Radeon 5970 2GB GPU. All sitting currently in a NZXT Phantom case.

The thing I am mainly worried about is the pressure from the pump to the rad, any help / suggestions here would be great.
:thup:

The pressure is not a problem, the max pressure the pump can put out is 8.5psi, with zero flow. If you only are using one pump pressure is not an issue.

koolancepmp450s-24v.png

The max pressure value for the pump is 50psi, that is the fail point of the pump, the housing will start to leak above that.

Thanks spitter3 for the info I really need to stop reading once it has gone past 2am.
one last question, I know that it is always better to run the lines ( Tubing ) as short as possible but is there a real adverse effect to the cooling if the lines are say routed for a cleaner / nice look which could make the lines twice the length then what is needed ?

A few extra feet of tubing is not going to affect your temps noticeably, 20 or 30 feet extra might be noticeable,

There is MUCH more than just the beginners guide to read, that is to just get you past 1st grade watercooling.

Dig deeper please, it will open your eyes.

I have been reading Conumdrum as I knew that if I didn't you would bite me and rightly so, but there is so many different variables that I am just a bit nervous & confused with heading off and buying this stuff hence the reason why I asked. :thup:

Thats a good pump setup. Nothing wrong with the basic MCP 655B vario/ Laing D5 vario. BTW, all of these are Lange pumps, even the one listed below with a better top setup.

Lots of of are using the Swiftech 35x now. Best you can get.

All you can do is learn all you can and give us a good parts list, and hope for the best.

Thanks for learning, it makes it easier on us and most importantly, you.

I spent 3 months learning, back then we didn't have stickies of much help back then.

Read lots of posts and see what you learn. Time consuming, but you pick up small things not in the stickies.

I did look at that pump but wasn't sure if it was an older version or not, glad I checked this thread again before I hit the buy button, all these numbers give me a headache lol.

I have checked on a couple of sites here in the uk but it looks like only swiftech seem to sell the 35x so I will have to wait till they get more in stock.
This is the stuff I am thinking of buying so let me know what you think.

Just a recap on the hardware I have a Phenom II x6 1090T OC @4GHZ and want to try and get a bit more out of it if I can, the motherboard is an asus crosshair IV formula and 16GB Corsair memory, HIS Radeon HD5970 2GB GPU & Corsair TX850 V2 PSU.

The parts I am looking at getting is :
Swiftech MCP35X PWM DDC 18W Pump
Swiftech MCP35X Reservoir Rev 2
Phobya Xtreme Nova 1080 Radiator
XSPC RayStorm CPU/APU Waterblock (AMD)

Now I know that the Phobya Xtreme Nova 1080 Rad is serious overkill for just a cpu loop but I want to try and add to it later and also be able to use it at a later date when I upgrade.... plus I like overkill & the look of it lol.

Anyway any suggestions or thoughts would be most welcome thanks.

I wanted to try and buy it all in the UK to save on shipping costs and because every little helps the economy too but I will have a look and see.

Fittings I was thinking about going with half inch fatboys all the way through if I can and just doing some nice bends I will try and upload a picture of the way I want the loop in the case later on today.

I need to work out a few things before I get them but I have some compression fittings already so I can at least connect things to get an Idea.

Hose wise I was thinking of using clearflex 60.

Fans I am not 100% sure about as of yet I need to do some more reading on the rad and the fans to try and work out what will be an ok cheap fan to use and I do mean cheap, I might even have to go the route of buying the cheapest fans to start with and upgrade them later.

Biocide I was thinking a kill coil... will this be enough or should I get some Mayhems Extreme Biocide too ?

Liquid and I know lots of people say about don't use dyes but I am thinking about using Mayhems dye in the distilled water as well as getting some Aurora which won't be used as a cooling agent I was just thinking about having it in the other 100ml res that I have already and running a cheap junk pump to get it to move about in the res, but the aurora will wait until I get the main things sorted out.

I wanted to try and buy it all in the UK to save on shipping costs and because every little helps the economy too but I will have a look and see.

Fittings I was thinking about going with half inch fatboys all the way through if I can and just doing some nice bends I will try and upload a picture of the way I want the loop in the case later on today.

I need to work out a few things before I get them but I have some compression fittings already so I can at least connect things to get an Idea.

Hose wise I was thinking of using clearflex 60.

Fans I am not 100% sure about as of yet I need to do some more reading on the rad and the fans to try and work out what will be an ok cheap fan to use and I do mean cheap, I might even have to go the route of buying the cheapest fans to start with and upgrade them later.

Biocide I was thinking a kill coil... will this be enough or should I get some Mayhems Extreme Biocide too ?

Liquid and I know lots of people say about don't use dyes but I am thinking about using Mayhems dye in the distilled water as well as getting some Aurora which won't be used as a cooling agent I was just thinking about having it in the other 100ml res that I have already and running a cheap junk pump to get it to move about in the res, but the aurora will wait until I get the main things sorted out.

mate just avoid the dye, get some coloured hosing. Will give you a good if not better effect with uv lights ( if you wana go that way. ) ALso almost ALL clear tubing clouds up these days, so generally clear tubes and dye dont look that great. :thup:

Distilled/ deionised and killcoil Or biocide ( mayhems biocide is fine, im using it with dionised) and uv tubing and your sorted!:D

mate just avoid the dye, get some coloured hosing. Will give you a good if not better effect with uv lights ( if you wana go that way. ) ALso almost ALL clear tubing clouds up these days, so generally clear tubes and dye dont look that great. :thup:

Distilled/ deionised and killcoil Or biocide ( mayhems biocide is fine, im using it with dionised) and uv tubing and your sorted!:D

I have tried to find a good looking red / uv tubing but they all look ... I can't think of a polite word so you fill in the blank [_____].

What about the Mayhems pastel ?? I haven't read that it stains.

I got some Deionised water yesterday from Asda so I can clean out the parts when they get here but I think I need to go buy some more to flush it with as I don't think 5 litres is going to be enough to flush and do a leak test I will probably need more like double just to flush and leak test with.

and thanks for your input xander :thup:

I have gone through the list of sellers and tried using google to find a MCP35x but everywhere either doesn't sell them or is out of stock so I called Specialtech and they said a few weeks which sounds more like a we don't know yet lol.

Oh and some of the links on the Watercooling retail outlets in your locality list are dead now.

Last edited:
I have tried to find a good looking red / uv tubing but they all look ... I can't think of a polite word so you fill in the blank [_____].

What about the Mayhems pastel ?? I haven't read that it stains.

I got some Deionised water yesterday from Asda so I can clean out the parts when they get here but I think I need to go buy some more to flush it with as I don't think 5 litres is going to be enough to flush and do a leak test I will probably need more like double just to flush and leak test with.

and thanks for your input xander :thup:

I have gone through the list of sellers and tried using google to find a MCP35x but everywhere either doesn't sell them or is out of stock so I called Specialtech and they said a few weeks which sounds more like a we don't know yet lol.

Oh and some of the links on the Watercooling retail outlets in your locality list are dead now.

generally red coolant looks poor as well. Under UV red never looks great. I think you will be just as disappointed with red dye tbh :p the pastel stuff i would stay away from at all costs. Pretty much all dye stains after time, even mayhems stuff. ( maybe apart from the blue clear UV stuff ) and especially the pastel stuff.

I think further down the line you will regret it. I have seen too many horror stories to make it worth it. I have a bottle of mayhem clear blue UV dye on my shelf but i have never used it.

Well your in the UK mate so i would suggest any of the following sites

http://specialtech.co.uk/

http://www.thewatercoolingshop.co.uk/shop_closed.html

or scan.co.uk as a last resort.

Usually blue looks the best under Uv light, have a look at my rig ( i am going to change the loop soon but you get what i mean) i have found that the majority of UV red rigs either tend to look Orange or pink.

P1000776.jpg

I really like the blue and if I was to use the blue I would use the Mayhems clear uv so that I could have the clear & blue option, only thing is that I wanted to try and keep a theme with the motherboard colours / setup so it was black and red but failing that I could go for black and white.

I think the only part of my hardware that is blue is the Corsair memory and that is the heatsinks but they are normally covered over by the ram cooler.

I did call Specialtech but they said it would be a few weeks till they get the next lot of pumps in.

Back