• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pushing higher OC on FX6300 causing WEI to crash but P95 stable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

D3AN

Registered
Hi.

I decided to bump my OC from 4.3 to 4.45 Ghz. P95 blend was stable for over 14Hrs @ 1.4V and max 51C.

3dmark and unigene runs fine. Ram setting passed 8+ hrs on memtest, but towards the end of WEI's CPU assessment the system always reboots or says that WEI encountered an error.

Backing it down to 4.3 I'm able to pass the test. Anything over 4.4Ghz fails.

My bios settings:
217 x 20.5 = 4.45Ghz @ 1.408V
CPU NB: 1953 (stock: 2000)
HT link: 2387 (stock: 2400)

Ram: 1445 Ghz (stock: 1600) 9-10-9-24-1T @1.552V Memtest stable

c1e, c6, qnq, etc disabled

Also, I noticed that OCing CPU NB or HT link causes instability even when giving a slight bump in voltage while keeping freq. stock.

FX-6300
Gigabyte 970a-UD3 rev. 1.0
Win 7 Ult

Can't you just use the multi? Unlike Phenom, all FX CPUs have an unlocked multi!

I suspect a PCI-E OC being the cause... I would back the PCI-E down to 100 Mhz...

Ram: 1445 Ghz (stock: 1600) 9-10-9-24-1T @1.552V Memtest stable

Memory is underclocked, so memtest wouldn't be needed.

You should manually set all voltages while the board may over-volt too much if left on auto during overcocking.

but towards the end of WEI's CPU assessment the system always reboots

I would continue testing, but perhaps with a few other stress tests. Betcha WEI is just being stupid and nothing more. Find issues with other stress testing, then perhaps investigate a little further.

The ht link is still under stock freq. so I don't think pci-e is overclocked.

Yeah the memory freq was at a higher freq before I just didn't bother changing the voltage, the timings are tweaked tho. I've also tried OCing using multi but the same thing happens when running WEI with anything over 4.4ghz.

I'll take your recommendation and test with a few other stress tests. Thanks

Memory is underclocked, so memtest wouldn't be needed.

You should manually set all voltages while the board may over-volt too much if left on auto during overcocking.

I would continue testing, but perhaps with a few other stress tests. Betcha WEI is just being stupid and nothing more. Find issues with other stress testing, then perhaps investigate a little further.

So I set all the "normal" voltages manually and that seems to have fixed the issue. Thanks a lot for that!

I'm now able run WEI when using bclk, but it still crashes even when I set the cpu at a lower freq using multi OCing. Kinda weird, I guess my system just doesnt like to run cpu nb and HT link at stock speeds when OCed. It needs to be slighlty underclocked.

I've also tried giving cpu nb and HT link a slight voltage bump at stock speeds, but P95 crashes pretty fast. Guess I can't be too picky. lol

Spoke too soon...WEI still keeps crashing. Dunno what's up. All voltages except ram and vcore are stock.

What happens if you begin by setting everything to "optimized defaults" with F5 key. No overclock. Does WEI crash then?

Nevermind, I figured out the problem...my overclock was just not stable. 14+ hours on P95 blend was ok but it failed OCCT in under 30 sec.
Gonna fix my overclock. Thank you all for the help!

Nevermind, I figured out the problem...my overclock was just not stable. 14+ hours on P95 blend was ok but it failed OCCT in under 30 sec.
Gonna fix my overclock. Thank you all for the help!

Was that with Linpack? If Linpack failed in under 30 seconds, then it's likely an unstable core...

Could also mean ram/IMC Linpack will use more ram. Which P95 test did you use D3AN ? NVM I just re-read I see you used blend but that still could mean an unstable ram.

I would start with everything at default and use the multi like was suggested earlier. That will take all the other busses out of the equation. Once you find a stable clock/voltage you can try using FSB if you really want to but there really is no gain in doing so aside from a few more MHZ

Could also mean ram/IMC Linpack will use more ram. Which P95 test did you use D3AN ? NVM I just re-read I see you used blend but that still could mean an unstable ram.

I would start with everything at default and use the multi like was suggested earlier. That will take all the other busses out of the equation. Once you find a stable clock/voltage you can try using FSB if you really want to but there really is no gain in doing so aside from a few more MHZ

Gotcha, I went ahead and did that and tested using IBT ABX on very high setting. Passed with 4.4ghz...improvements yay! I'll post my max OC as soon as I find it. Right now it's seemingly stable at 4.4ghz with 1.33V

So I tried 4.5Ghz but it would just fail on standard level testing for IBT ABX. Bumped up the voltage to 1.344 and 1.376, both failed. The higher voltage failed faster causing instant reboots instead of fail messages.

My stable settings so far are:
4.4Ghz @ 1.33V (200x22)
CPU NB:2000 stock
HT link: 2400 stock
Ram is manually set to stock timings and freq.
All other voltages manually set to stock.
Max temp was around 47C

Is this the max? CPU VID is only 1.1875V shouldn't it be able to higher?

I would try upping the CPU_NB to ~ 1.25v and add .05v to your ram voltage. Typically with the FX 63xx CPUs 4.5 is where the voltage starts to climb. I was looking through your manual and the rev.1 seems to be missing some of the later options they added in for FX

I would try upping the CPU_NB to ~ 1.25v and add .05v to your ram voltage. Typically with the FX 63xx CPUs 4.5 is where the voltage starts to climb. I was looking through your manual and the rev.1 seems to be missing some of the later options they added in for FX

So I incrementally upped the CPU NB to 1.25V and I found that it likes it around 1.175V-1.200V. At 1.25V it starts to reboot instead of giving a fail message when running high test on IBT.

It still can't hit 4.5 for some reason. I tried to bump the voltage up 1-2 notches but that fails IBT sooner.

With 1.175 and 1.344V I can get through the standard test of IBT but not the level above it.

I also tried to increase the CPU NB frequency to 2200, but that really didn't help.

Any other ideas?

What ram are you using> A matched pair of dual channel? Brand? What cooler are you using?
If you go up to trents post it would be helpful if you added a signature with your components like he did.

What ram are you using> A matched pair of dual channel? Brand? What cooler are you using?
If you go up to trents post it would be helpful if you added a signature with your components like he did.

I tried running with one stick as well...had the same problem

I'll try the other stick just in case.

I would also try changing the ram timings slightly to something like 9-10-9-27 and 2T
FX IMC can have trouble with dual rank high density ram like that

I would also try changing the ram timings slightly to something like 9-10-9-27 and 2T

K, I lowered the ram speed down to 1333mhz, the stock timings are 10-10-10-27-2T so I left that alone, I took out a stick...still getting the same results. Fails on high level IBT. I dunno I'll take a picture of my bios settings later, maybe you can spot something funky.

Maybe the Bios is glitchy, it's the most up to date bios but it is a beta, although people on other forums have reported it to be stable. If i cant get this to work Ill just revert the bios to test I guess.

All power saving settings are off. Stock ram settings are 10-10-10-27-2T and 1600mhz, I just bumped it down to 1333 for testing.

IMG_7151.JPG
IMG_7152.JPG
IMG_7153.JPG
IMG_7154.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and theres some pretty big Vdrop. Max voltage I'm getting with these settings is 1.344V on cpu-z, 1.298V on load.

The next voltage bump brings it to 1.376V which like I said seems more unstable.

Back