• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pushing my 2600k past 5ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

christee66

Registered
* EDIT to add bencharmark

So i got bored and decided to try to push my 2600k past 4.5ghz last night. It Took me a while but i am up to 5.0ghz and been stable so far. 5.0ghz was my goal and i am happy to have hit it :). I would like to share my settings and ask for any feedback and/or tweaks. I realize these settings will likely degrade my CPU and i don't care. It is not an everyday clock i just wanted to try to push as far as i can for benchmarking. If my CPU burns out i will have a reason to upgrade my chip and board. My last test of prime small ran for 1 hour without fail. I stopped it there. Had a max temp over the 1 hour of 81 with average temp of 76 - 78. You guys think i should push farther or leave it alone and benchmark it?

ovFRE5h.jpg

49849702402.png

My rig

Motherboard - Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
CPU - Intel i7-2600k @ 5.003ghz (102.1x49)
Cooler - H100i GTX push/pull
Other cooling - 1x 200mm fan, 1x 140mm fan, 8x 120mm fans (including rad fans)
Ram - 16gb Corsair Vengance, low pro
GPU - MSI GTX 970
PSU - corsair TX850m
Case - NZXT Phantom (original) with some customization

Now on to my BIOS settings

BCLK freq - 102.1
Turbo ratio - All cores (@ 49)
Internal PLL overvolt - Enabled
Mem freq - DDR3 1633mhz

Load Line Calibration (LLC) - extreme (100%)
VRM freq - manual - 500
Phase control - Extreme
Duty control - Extreme
CPU current capability - 130%

CPU voltage (vcore) - 1.450 v
DRAM voltage - 1.50000 v
VCCIO voltage - Auto
CPU PLL voltage - Auto
PCH voltage - Auto
DRAM data ref voltage on CHA A - Auto
DRAM ctrl ref voltage on CHA A - Auto
DRAM data ref voltage on CHA B - Auto
DRAM ctrl ref voltage on CHA B - Auto
CPU spread spectrum - Enabled

DRAM primary timings - 9/9/9/24

CPU ratio - 49
Speed step - Enabled
Turbo mode - Enabled - Auto

Thermal monitoring - Enabled
Hyper threading - Enabled
Limited CPUID max - Disabled
Execute disable bit - Disabled
Intel virtualization tech - Disabled
Intel speedstep tech - Enabled
Turbo mode - Enabled
CPU C1E - Disabled
CPU C3 report - Disabled
CPU C6 report - Enabled

Well there you have it. Any comments or tweaks anyone can think of feel free to post. Im not sure if i want to try to push any further at the moment yet. But if i do i will let you know.

Last edited:
If you're just benching, no harm in pushing the core speed a bit more. Doesn't have to be completely stable for benchmarking, just has to finish the run ;)

Stability-wise, sounds like you're at a good spot if prime's okay for an hour. I wouldn't want to run it at 1.45V if it were my chip, but if you're okay with degrading it :shrug: Personally, I'd rather sell it and upgrade for cheaper rather than kill it and upgrade at retail.

Nice job :thup:

Back