• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Put in new ssd and set it to boot from dvd drive and nothing.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TickleMyElmo

Hi guys. So I bought a brand new Samsung 850 Evo 250gb ssd for my mom's old laptop. It replaced a really slow 5400 hdd. Anyways, I put the Windows 7 disc in and set the laptop to prioritize the dvd drive as 1st boot. It comes to an all black screen with a little line flashing in the upper left hand side. What should I do?

Ok, got it working. But now I have another problem. The Windows 7 product key says it's invalid. It's the same one I got off the laptop before I switched drives. I called Microsoft and they said it was an OEM key and it has already been used and can only be used once. Now I guess I have to go out anf buy ANOTHER damned copy of Windows unless you guys know another way I can do this.

I just used my Main builds key and it worked. But now Since I don't have a cd with the drivers on it I can't get online. I tried acer.com but can't find the driver for the network adapter.

I just used my Main builds key and it worked. But now Since I don't have a cd with the drivers on it I can't get online. I tried acer.com but can't find the driver for the network adapter.

Can't help you find one without a model number

Last question... I don't want to use my main computers Windows key. What did you guys say I should do again? Something about pressing 0?
What's the right number to call and when do I hit 0?

:-/

Call the M$ # it gives you when you try to activate and cant. Use option 0 to go through the automated process. If you can't listen to the prompts and figure it out, this isn't your biggest concern. :p

You will be asked how many times this key has been activated in the automated call line, say 0.

The reason that key didn't work with that installation DVD is likely because the key was for a different service pack version (as long as you didn't try to, say, install Windows 7 Pro with a Home key, for example). In those cases, you need to use a key that is for the service pack version of the media used (you did that), and then once booted and configured, change the key to the one on the system. You will have to undergo a manual activation (over the phone), where you will be asked to input a series of digits into the automated phone system, which will then read off another series of digits for you to input on the next screen.

Back