• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

M.2 Boot Drive - Which Slot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Barryng

I got my new build up and running using an Asus Prime Z490-A. I am using two M.2 NVMe drives and no SATA drives except for a CD/DVD. The boot drive (Windows 10) is a 512 Gb Samsung N.2 970 Pro and it is installed in M.2-1. I have a 1 Tb Samsung M.2 970 EVO for storage only in M.2-2.

I noticed the bios Boot Priority list shows the boot drive 970 Pro in M.2_1 as "P2:ATAPI IHBS112 2" and the storage only drive 970 EVO in M.2_2 as "M.2_2: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB".

A major goal is to boot off an NVMe drive for speed but it appears it is being used as a slower ATAPI device. Should the boot drive be in M.2_2 and the storage only be in M.2_1? The Asus manual is not clear on this point.

For what ever its worth, the 970 Pro in M.2_1 was the only installed drive when I clean installed W10.

Just figured a little more out.

"P2:ATAPI IHBS112 2" references the CD/DVD drive which, of course, can contain boot media. I disabled that as a boot device and now only have the 970 Pro in M.2_1 on the boot Priority list. The 970 EVO in M.2_2 is not even appearing now.

I did experiment and switched the locations for the 970 Pro and EVO and could discern no difference in time to boot to the W10 desk top.

If the boot times are no different then I think you answered your own question.

Back