• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PWM pump power wire cleanup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OceansCrashing

I understand (or at least think I understand) the inclusion of molex on pumps is done so you’re less likely to plug a pump into a hub and over-burden a header causing a fire hazard.

If Im using a powered fan hub with a separate molex power connection, is it generally ok to eliminate the molex connector running to the fan, and instead merge the four wires into a single four pin fan connector?

The molex is the power to the pump, think higher power current/voltage. The small plug is millivolts used to control the PWM. Most small plugs can't carry the current required to power the pump. Hope that helps.

I understand that logic, but since the wires themselves are the same gauge (22-24 if IIRC,) I don't think the connector is providing any extra protection for the individual pump. Having the molex on there WOULD prevent you from connecting the pump to a hub that is sharing other duties though. I'm thinking the connectors are organized that way so that you don't end up connecting a pump and say 3 fans to a single hub that doesn't have its own external power, overloading the motherboard's header.

I'd be well within the limitations of each 4 pin header at 18watts per pump, and the hub being provided power from the molex would only see 36 watts at the molex connector. I think I'm just going to go ahead and try it, I don't see any reason it shouldn't be fine. I guess we'll see haha.

There should be a limit with the hub but chances are with that much load, you probably will fry the hub and possibly everything else connected to it. Usually a hub is meant to spread the load of fans to all headers instead of one. Putting a single 18w pump on one header might not be such a great idea hence the point of the power molex connection.

Yeah, while I dont think 36 watts would fry the hub as a whole, 18 watts on a single header might be pushing it.

i was in the same boat as you but i chickened out and decided id better stick to what the manufacturer built. i look forward to your results.

Back