• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PWM splitter issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Niva2121

I have made a pwm splitter for some delta fans but having the issue were they just run at full speed.

If i plug one directly into sys_fan2 it works as it should, but once i try to run the splitter with multiple fans and using the molex etc they stick at 100%

Have tried so many combinations of wiring now, its 4am and im throwing in the towel haha had enough :(

Any ideas?

Made the splitter myself.
40ml brushless deltas out of a server
Def only running one tach cable

Does one of them work by itself on the main side of the splitter?

Yep just flat out haha,

Im thinking maybe its confused and thinks there is no fan connected so its defaulting to full speed. Either because the 12v+ isnt connected or the ground. But honestly im just guessing.

Motherboard is a z68xpUD3 .
Running of the SYS_FAN2 socket.

Definitely an issue with the splitter you made then.
Did you test continuity on each wire through the connector?

No, although i did remake the whole thing with fresh bits and solder instead of twist and tape :p

- - - Updated - - -

Appriciate the help btw (y)

That'd be my first idea, to check continuity on the sense wire and the signal wire. (obviously the + and - are good)
Also, I've seen some fans before with the signal and sense reversed. Would be worth looking in to, but I doubt it's the issue.

Ok, using another hackjob splitter, both fans function correctly running off the fan socket ( not using molex)

Obviously this isnt a solution as they draw nearly 1 amp each and i have another 6 mounted and waiting for power haha

Interesting though

That'd be my first idea, to check continuity on the sense wire and the signal wire. (obviously the + and - are good)
Also, I've seen some fans before with the signal and sense reversed. Would be worth looking in to, but I doubt it's the issue.

10 points!! Wires where the opposite of what they were supposed to be. Didnt even notice one was going normal speed for some reason. I dunno. Im going with lack of sleep haha. 8 up and running now. Wow!

Thanks heaps for your help mate.

Back